Sunday, May 11, 2003

[*landing quietly, soft smile, watching Zasshu sleep... brushes wing-tip over shoulder...*]

I realised something tonight - I don't like coming home, it's never a joy stepping back into this house...
Feh, enough whinging.
The cubs and I had a really good weekend at my mum's. She doesn't live far away really, just over an hour by car, a couple of hours by public transport, but she's out in a rural area and so it feels like somewhere else. Didn't do a whole lot on saturday, just kicked back a bit (though I cut out enough bitty bits of material to make 91 stars for my quilt - which will bring the number up to 151 of 203), but sunday, today, was pretty full.
Woke up early to find my mother's day gifts from the cubs (they'd 'secretly' brought them with them : ) balanced on my stomach. As soon as I opened my eyes the cubs pounced on me and demanded I open the presents. One cub gave me a small planter that has feet and a funny face (it's currently in the bathroom with the fern that was sitting in my duck planter), and the other cub gave me a statue of two frogs, to sit in the garden - and a lint remover, how thoughtful, which they proceeded to run over everything, including my mum's siamese cat. : ) (Their father included an Adam Ant compilation CD in the haul, which is cool but a bit of an odd mix, only a couple of 'hits' and the rest are lesser known - well, lesser known if you weren't a fan *points at self* - tracks from a few of the albums.) I gave mum her present, a cute pic of the cubs in a nice frame. She seemed pleased.
After breakfast we went for a ride on the Yarra Junction Tourist Railway. Not so much an old train, but an old, open trolley that deafens you as it rattles and vibrates along. Loads of fun, but very very cold. Heh, and mum and I got to ride free for mother's day! Then we drove up to Toolangi, to a place called 'The Singing Gardens' which was a property owned by a very well known Aus poet, CJ Dennis ('Sentimental Bloke') Beautiful spot, with a creek and a big stand of bamboo around a pond. Had a good meal, a walk around the gardens and didn't have to yell at the cubs... *g*

No comments: