Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I hate being rushed, I really do.
I was all organised this morning to take the cubs to the movies - knew which bus we'd have to catch, what time we'd have to leave - then the cubs invited their father to come with us. Okay, good, he's got a car and instead of offering petrol money I can pay for his ticket cos it'll cost about the same as day tickets for the bus. I wanted to leave home at least an hour before the session start-time despite the cinema only being 10 minutes drive away, because I know what it's like there on tight-arse Tuesdays during the holidays.
<sigh> Cubs' father hadn't woken up from his nap (he worked last night) by the time the rest of us were ready to go. <mutterfume> Then he couldn't find his wallet, and he had to get some petrol a.s.a.p. on the way down there... All right, it wasn't too bad, we got to the place with half an hour to spare but I had to suppress a wave of irritation as I saw how long the queue was for tickets. Luckily I'd suggested sent the cubs' father to the supermarket for snacks while I lined up for the tickets. That saved a little time and I was still able to make a dash to the loo before the session started.

'The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl'.
Enjoyable, predictable fluff about how you shouldn't forget your dreams, or try to destroy other peoples'. It wasn't exceptional in any way but the cubs loved it if only for the sharks. Some of the Planet Drool sequences were very clever, however, the 3D bits weren't that amazing that they couldn't have been done just as effectively with standard CGI.
BUT that would have to have been the coolest space-ship ever! <g>

What did boggle me though was how much effort our Ministry of defense is putting in to (sneaky) recruiting. The rope thingies that delineated the ticket-queue had the MoD's email addie printed on them at regular intervals. There was also a large display-stand right next to the box-office stuffed with MoD pamphlets, and on top of the poles between the rope thingies were affixed smaller versions of the MoD poster-ads. All nicely designed to catch your eye as you wait in line. Tch. I wonder how much money changed hands over the right to monopolise this prime, youth-catching site.

Oh! Previews! Almost forgot...
'Chronicles of Narnia'! <big eyes> Ohohoh I want to see that! The armour, the scenery (visit New Zealand!), the pavilions! (There's something dreadfully romantic about a well-made and bravely decorated pavilion. Yes I have spent time living in one and it's not overly convenient but... le sigh...)
And something else, can't remember the name, but it had the same writer as 'Jumanji'. There was a clue - like to guess what it was about? Two boys find an ooooold board game in the attic. It's about space-travel and its perils...
The space-cadets amongst us will probly love it for the effects if nothing else.

Oh bother. Did I miss 'Talk like a Pirate' Day again?
Aarrr, that be a nuisance...

No comments: