Thursday, January 27, 2005

[... killing time before catching the bus to pick the cubs up from school...]

First day of the new school year. Woohoo feel the enthusiasm.
I'm exaggerating, of course, we started the year on a positive note. The cubs got up at 7 a.m without fuss and we were out of the house just after 8 with me only having to bark once or twice. : ) We got to school niiiice and early with no rush, just the way I like it.
Cubs are in separate classes this year which should be good for them, they really need some space from each other - going to be great when they can have their own rooms. Fingers crossed they'll get on better with their teachers this year than last, but then I don't think grade 3 is ever a good year while grade 4 is always better. Or perhaps I'm being selective in my memories? Eh.

Still ploughing through 'Fellowship of the Ring' and came across the word dolven. I wondered if this was a real word or one Tolkien made up so I went looking. Found this jolly interesting site in my travels. Doesn't say anything about the word's origins - still don't know if it's a real word or not - but does give a definition that makes sense.
On the subject of language the cubs asked me a little while back why I used 'big words' when I spoke. After blinking a bit I told them it was because English is such a rich, beautiful and eloquent language I don't see the point of restricting my vocabulary to the boring, ordinary words everyone else uses. <g> English snob? Oh yes...

I gave the piggle a wash yesterday. Given the size of her cage it's impossible for her to not sit in her own waste at some point, and with piggles not being the most flexible of creatures she was having trouble keeping herself clean. The last thing I wanted was for her to have problems with flies so a bath it was. She wasn't impressed, eyes bugged out in stark, staring terror. Tch. Though she enjoyed being clean and was quite happy to be towel-dried.

Quizzes, quizzes...
(The first was nicked from Onna's blog, the second from Joules')

You scored as Verbal/Linguistic. You have highly developed auditory skills, enjoy reading and writing and telling stories, and are good at getting your point across. You learn best by saying and hearing words. People like you include poets, authors, speakers, attorneys, politicians, lecturers and teachers.

Verbal/Linguistic
82%
Intrapersonal
71%
Visual/Spatial
50%
Interpersonal
43%
Bodily/Kinesthetic
39%
Musical/Rhythmic
36%
Logical/Mathematical
29%


The Rogers Indicator of Multiple Intelligences
created with QuizFarm.com



Earth Mama
You're an earth mother! Your friends sometimes
call you Gaea, because you're the original
earth goddess! You and your kids both have
dirt under your fingernails, and you spend as
much of your time as possible out of doors.
Your kids have an incredible appreciation for
nature.


What kind of a freaky mother are you?
brought to you by Quizilla


... okay, aside from the being out of doors bit. <thinking> Though actually, that's not inaccurate, I do like being outside amongst nature and stuff just not when it's hot.

Finally got to see 'X Men 2'. I enjoyed it! Liked what they did with Nightcrawler's character. There is a third movie on the way, isn't there? I mean, this second movie was nicely setting up a sequel. (Though it probly helps having an inkling of the original storyline. : )

(Bother. Looks like one of the quizzes has done odd things to the page layout. Tch, sorry...)(Fixed it for you - Joules)

No comments: