Sunday, January 30, 2005

Yay! Finally got volume 2 of 'Last Exile' from my purveyor of quality anime. I really like this series, the worldframe is fascinating and the plot's taking on intriguing layers of complexity. I want to know more about the Guild and how/why the fighting started.
There was also volume 3 of 'Wolf's Rain' on the shelves which would've been t'riffic except I haven't seen volume 2 yet. <scowl> I suspect both 2 and 3 turned up at the same time but the other person who's been waiting for the rest of this series to appear got in before me. Ah well, with luck another copy of 2 will turn up at a time I can afford it. (Hm, and the next couple of volumes of 'Yu Yu Hakusho' haven't appeared yet either, and it's been months since the last batch. Heh, according to Lutra's theory of retail availability no doubt they'll show up when I can least afford them. Such is life. : )

The cubs got a DVD copy of the 1986 Transformers movie.
... it's not as dire as the Thomas the Tank Engine movie.
Actually, it's not bad at all despite the paperthin plot, wooden characterisations and twenty-year old japanimation. The english voice cast is interesting: Eric Idle, Leonard Nimoy, amongst others, and would you believe Orson Wells? I really hope this wasn't his last screen appearance...
Some of the characters/ideas from the movie have been resurrected for the later series of Transformers and guess what? Optimus Prime dies - again. I swear, that 'bot buys it in every series. He's just one big plot device so the 'younger' 'bots can get some character development!

The first couple of days of the school year went well in spite of the heat and having to take public transport. The cubs both seem to like their new teachers - so do I which will hopefully mean I won't be as hesitant to approach them about potential problems as I was with the grade 3 teacher last year. (Yes, it's all about me, isn't it? <smirk> )

Quilting news: Almost finished making up the individual strips for the hexagon quilt - only 3 to go! - then I can start joining them together. Still haven't got 'round to pinning the various layers of the first quilt but that's not surprising. This is the first time I've done anything like this so true to form I'm being shy and insecure about the whole process. <rolls eyes> But at least the lounge room floor is still clear enough to spread it all out on so that's one less thing to get stalled over.
I know myself too well...

Oh, and good luck with the ouchies, Alarice! <hugs> I wince in empathy for you.

No comments: