Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Cubs and I went to see The Incredibles today...

<raverave> Effin'gnnnh! 's good!

This is the best thing Pixar have produced to date and I'd go as far to say it's the best movie I've seen in ages. Ok, as a superhero story it meant I was mostly sold on it as soon as I'd seen a preview but even so I was not disappointed. In terms of production this film is stunning, the animation is smooth and detailed, realistic without that pretension to realism that's buggered up other movies for me. I've found Pixar always work within the medium, they know that cgi - no matter how photo-realistic - is not like using film. Why limit something so flexible to aping film?
Anyway. Unlike Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc. and the two Toy Stories, The Incredibles is not a kids' movie with something for adults. Yes, the plot is simple but the characters are not. There's depth to them all - I can smell the backstorys! - and they lived for me, I believed in them. There were elements of the movie, too, that had me thinking that the production team really understood the 'Superhero' genre; a genre that can be a whole lot deeper than its detractors would have you believe.
And someone obviously loves the Bond movies: the secret headquarters was fantastic!

Right, I've run out of coherent things to say, save that the small 'short' before the film was awfully cute. <g>
Really looking forward to seeing this at the cinemas again, and will definitely be getting the DVD when it's released.

No comments: