Thursday, March 16, 2006

Condoleeza Rice. It struck me tonight while watching a news item about her that bunny ears wouldn't look out of place...

The only picture of the flying tram that I could find. The accompanying article's not bad either, but not as good (snarky) as this one. <snicker> (Oh, so that's what the duck was about? Ah, that makes a smidge more sense now.)
I did enjoy parts of the Opening Ceremony though, basically the parts where I wasn't cackling, or cringing, or just staring, bemused and saying: wtf?
There was some world-class waffling from the presenters and at first glance I swore the Welsh athletes were naked! They weren't, alas, it was their beige uniforms that confuddled my eyes.
The fireworks looked deuced impressive though. Melbourne was awash in cordite last night. Very festive, I'm sure...

Hee, yes, I had fun with my mum. We went op-shopping, and patchwork shopping. I came back with loads of material I don't need for my stash and some very pretty Chinese tea cups I found - 4 for $2. I also found a lovely handmade ceramic bowl for only $1.50. The glaze is essentially sand-coloured, not something I normally look at twice, but it's got a beautiful shape. It'll make a very nice serving bowl.
Mum bought me an electric kettle for my birthday (as I requested) and I bought the cubs new electric toothbrushes. Neat ones, too; the holders look like mechs. Cubs were pleased. : )
Not sure that I'm all that happy to be home but I'm certainly glad to be back in my own bed. My mum's couch is hell on my back. <g>

Niki leant me Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. What a fabulous story! I laughed, I was infuriated, I was squicked. Going to get my own copy, I think. Definitely worth a reread.
As a special 'treat' I got myself a copy of a recommended Drivel, Dara Joy's Ritual of Proof. I haven't been game to open it yet, not immediately after Anansi Boys at any rate. I want to savour the afterglow of that a wee while longer before I bludgeon my sensibilities with Romance, even recommended Romance. : )

A quote I heard on the telly while at my mum's:
"A crooked cop: a friend, a lover, a brother..."
Gosh, I thought, how progressive! Incest on a prime-time Aussie soap?!
Nah, just a poorly worded advert. Tch.
And this one, from a breakfast cereal commercial:
"It doesn't matter what's behind you - it's what's inside you..."
<splutter> Bwaahahahahahahahah! Taken out of context that's very suggestive. <snigger> Maybe I should watch commercial telly more often?

No comments: