Monday, March 06, 2006

Hee. I bought myself an early birthday present today from an opp-shop. I've seen a lot of casserole dishes with lids shaped like chickens but this one was a duck, a very handsome green duck, I might add. It spoke to me; I couldn't leave it behind. It was expensive, though - $12 - far more than I would normally consider paying for anything from an opp-shop but as I'd been willing to pay 5 times that amount for a brand new one I didn't think it was too bad. The glaze inside is perfect, too, I don't think it's been used at all. Not that there's any guarantee I'll use it either, but it's attractive enough to be decorative.
Plus I picked up a pair of lovely mauve flannel pyjamas very cheaply. They won't fit me at all but that doesn't matter, I only bought them for the material.
And I'm now the proud owner of two kilos of sun-dried and marinated tomatoes! Mwahahahahah! They were on special at the supermarket - less than half price. I wonder how long it will take for me to finish the jar? I can almost certainly guarantee that very few will actually be used in cooking - I'll probly just snack on them as they are.

David Attenborough's new series on insects is fascinating, in a creepy sort of way. So interesting to watch, but I always feel itchy by the end. : )

Russian Ark has been on my 'to see' list for a long time. I borrowed a copy from the library the other day and finally sat down to watch it. Absolutely intriguing, if incomprehensibly... Russian in places. Still, the 'making of' documentary in the bonus features went a long way towards filling in the gaps. Now that I've got a clue I'd like to watch it at least once more before I have to return the DVD, see if it makes a more complete sense with a second viewing.

The cubs and I watched the HRE's Atlantis for the first time in probably over a year. Aside from a couple of cliché<cough>trademark HRE moments, I'd forgot how much I enjoyed this movie. It remains one of the few HRE name-brand productions I respect.
And damn those Atlanteans are an attractive people...

Parent-teacher interviews today, hooray. I deliberately arranged the interview times to be quite late so the cubs could go into the After School Care program - which they enjoy - but also so I could have a couple of extra hours to myself in the afternoon (to pet my new duck <g> ).
The cubs' father came with me - another reason for the later timeslots - and we were both pleased with what the teachers had to say. Both cubs seem to be happier and more settled this year. They're interacting a little better with their classmates and there's less overall friction. They're also both more inclined to have a go at sports which is great to hear, though they're still not overly inclined to finish class work on time. Heh, that's a criticism that's carried all the way through from Prep. But, their teachers are happy with them; the cubs are more than capable, academically, and their reading, comprehension and spelling are very good. I knew that already but it's nice to have it confirmed.

The rewrites of chapters 1-3 were relatively easy but 4 is undergoing a major overhaul after I had a [ping]. The extra detail is definitely needed, though; it'll define and deepen a couple of the characters.

No comments: