Monday, March 27, 2006

Hee, so yes, Penny and I went to the Closing Ceremony. It was fun, though the evening had a bit of a rocky start, a slight communications mishap. Penny thought I'd invited her daughter as well, though in fact I only had 2 tickets. Likely my fault, I was too excited to be coherent, I suspect. <g> Anyway, not really a problem as it transpires, the cubs' father was happy to look after Sarah as well. And because I'm slightly obsessive about ensuring there's plenty of time to get somewhere, Penny and I still made it to the MCG early enough to have a leisurely picnic and a look around before finding our seats.
And there was a pleasant surprise! Free tickets - I thought we'd probly be up with the gods... Not at all! 12 rows from the front, almost directly underneath the VIP box! Impressed? Oh yes...
I don't like being in amongst a mass of people but a happy, boppy audience of 80,000 is vastly different to your xmas shopping crowd. There was a great, communal vibe that only got stronger as the evening progressed. The remodeled MCG is a good venue, too. It's well organised and sign-posted and there's toilets everywhere. Very important. I went there years and years ago and I remember it was a bloody long trek to the loo!
The Scared Weird Little Guys were the warm-up act and they were extremely good, very funny. They sang some of their own stuff ('Old MacDonald had a farm' to the tune of 'Teen Spirit' <snerk> ) and taught us some simple choreography and lyrics for later in the program. The highlights for me though were the arena-wide, co-ordinated camera flash (so bright!), the mexican wave camera flash, and the world's largest ping-pong match. <g> The audience in the Southern Stand vs. the audience in the Northern stand batting an imaginary ball between us. There is nothing quite like 40,000 people gleefully bellowing 'POP' when it's their turn to 'volley'.

The main program began with some footy practice. The lads jogged around for a bit then did some hand-passing and kicking while the mascots and cheer squads cavorted on the sidelines... Yerrss, I rolled my eyes at that, then snickered aloud when the boys were joined by ballerinas in football team coloured tutus. In the Opening Ceremony we had a flying tram, in the Closing Ceremony there was a giant football hoisted aloft. <sigh> But things only got better from there on in.
The music was great - Ben Lee, Bodyrockers, Paul Kelley, John Farnham, amongst others - and the fireworks were spectacular. Unfortunately, at times there was so much going on with all the dance groups it was easy to miss details of what was happening. The big screens were very handy for some of it, showing those of us not able to see the arena floor in its entirety, how the performers spelled out 'I [heart] M', and a fuge representation of Dame Edna's glasses. <g> That was the bit Soulsis was in - 1000 purple wigged Edna's waving LED lit gladioli. I spotted Soulsis amongst the masses, too, thanks to the big fake flower she was wearing.
D'oh, almost forgot to mention the Bollywood performance, which was wonderfully sparkly and bouncy. Lots and lots of well-drilled and enthusiastic dancers doing their thing while a parade of giant Indian Icon thingies paraded around the edge of the circle. : ) marvelous! I think it'd be so cool to go to the Opening Ceremony in New Delhi in 2010.

The evening had to end though, so after the performances and congratulatory speeches the MCG slowly emptied out. There were so many people it was slow going making our way back to the railway station, and the train we squeezed into was horribly overcrowded, but for all that everyone was good-willed and helpful and there were no problems.
It was a great night, all told, and made me wish I'd made more of an effort to actually go to the Games.
Thanks for the tickets, Soulsis!
<g> And thank you for the Edna glasses...

No comments: