Thursday, March 30, 2006

I joyfully perform The Dance of the Returning Vegetables! Brussel sprouts and asparagus are coming back into season! : )

Had some good wee bits of luck today. The supermarket had finally got 'round to restocking the organic coffee I like, but that wasn't the lucky bit. There was no price on the shelf - though I know it generally retails for around $8 - neither did the item register at the, um, register. After standing around for a couple of minutes trying to get a response from the front desk, the cashier eventually shrugged his shoulders and put the coffee through for $1. Bonus! And there was some more luck after school. On our way home the cubs generally indulge in a daily taste test at Trampoline Ice Cream. Earlier this week one of the lovely staff gave them both a small cup of ice cream for free. Very sweet of her, I thought, but tonight when we stopped in to buy the cubs' weekly cone's worth of numminess, she gave me a free cup as well! Lychee and Lime sorbet... <swoonthud> Just delicious. Needless to say, under these circumstances, the cubs and I are happy to continue our patronage.

Got to see "Howl's Moving Castle", at last. The artwork was beautiful of course (bishiebishiebishie!), but the story left me wondering if I'd missed something. It made sense in an overall sort of way but the detail was patchy in places. Admittedly I was watching the dubbed version - and we all know how true-to-the-original those are, especially for something that's going into general release - but it smacked of squishing and pushing things around to suit a more 'Western' viewpoint. <scowl> Why can't they just translate the bloody things as they are? There's no need for all this... tinkering...
I'll watch the subbed version sometime, see if I can glean any more sense from that.

I'm about a third of a way through the SFSG rewrite - which sounds more impressive than it actually is. Or perhaps I'm just frowning at my dithering again. Though it seems to be getting easier.
Once again big [huggles] to Joules for her invaluable help betaing. <g>

I see that the Goblet of Fire DVD is finally on sale here. <pout> Can't afford it yet, oh well.
I'm reading Order of the Phoenix though (for only the second time - it's much better on a reread) and I can't help envisioning Dan Radcliffe's inevitable chewing of the scenery. Attractive poppet but really not the best of actors. Ah well, bless; I'm sure he does his best.

No comments: