Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Weee! I'm going to the Closing Ceremony! Soulsis - as one of the artistes - got tickets! <excited> Why am I excited? Cos in the closing ceremony the host country for the next games puts on a little show and the next host country is India! <big eyes> I wonder if there'll be elephants...?

I read 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' for the first time in decades. Very interesting to see how it compares to the films. For instance, there's moralising conflict in the first movie that wasn't in the book. That was taken out of the second movie but another type of moralising conflict was added instead. Also, single sentences in the book became entire scenes in the first movie but were again whisked away in the second. The children are given Nationalities in the first movie but not mentioned in the book, and Willy Wonka is a whole lot weirder and subtly wrong in the second movie than either previous incarnation (though the Gene Wilder's version is definitely more comic).
I can see why the squirrels were replaced with geese in the first movie (much harder to animate) but I'm glad they were back in the second movie - so cute! I noticed that a few of the changes made in the first movie were carried over to the second but on the whole the second movie is much closer to the original book, despite the addition of back-story. <g>
I really, really like that movie. Soulsis leant us her copy of the DVD and if it hadn't been for the cubs nattering at me while I was watching I would've sunk as deeply into it then as at the cinema.
Patterns, patterns, patterns! Can't help wondering what it's like in Tim Burton's mind if that's how his internal visions translate to the screen. Wow. And I definitely want a copy of the soundtrack; that just gets better with listening.

I thought I caught a mouse the other day. I thought I was very clever. That was until I went to release the wee beastie outside only to find it had somehow sidled out from inside the cardboard tube despite both ends being - I assumed - adequately covered. Hmph. Tricksy things, mice.

KittenKong is getting used to Soulsis' dog, at last. Instead of running away and hiding under the neighbour's house the past couple of visits she's grimly, stubbornly, stayed inside. And she's held her ground when confronted with an exuberant puppy, even though said puppy just can't seem to tell the difference between a happy, playful cat and a pissed off, touch me and you die cat. <g> Her language chip needs updating, obviously.

Well, here's a couple of bits from the meme that I managed to miss:

Five things I'd never wear again.

Black. I realise now it makes me look jaundiced, not deep.
Grey. A dreary colour that brings me down, man.
Beige. <shudder>
Polyester. Gah, I hate that stuff!
Leg warmers. I used to wear them legitimately, when I was dancing, but no, never again.

Five favourite toys.
Tee hee hee.
That I'm willing to mention: Computer. Snowdomes. Slidey pens. Poi. Material.
And some toys that I look forward to playing with (ie; when I get them) : digital camera. Lap-top 'puter. A proper CD player. Interesting bed. New house.



<sigh> Back when I was writing the first draft of SFSG there were a number of places/plot things I skimmed over with the intention of getting back to them 'later'. Well, 'later' is 'now' and my blitheness has come back to bite me on the arse. Still, I'm working through the rewrite considerably faster than the first draft.

No comments: