Friday, May 14, 2004

I'd be cringing at the marysueness of my Haadri fanfic if I wasn't having such a good time.
Joules, bless her, has assured me it's not reading like a marysue and I guess she's right. True, I've created a character purely so I can play in the Haadri universe but unlike other fanfic I've had the misfortune to read, her presence isn't affecting the main narrative, like say, Aragorn's half-sister would. <shudder>
But the point I'm trying to get to is that I've finished the second fanfic, and Joules and I have completed a combined third. Neat, huh? :)

Been a good week for dreams too. The one I woke up to this morning left me with a profound feeling of peace and loving acceptance (until I realised I'd slept in and if we wanted to get to school on time we'd have to leave in 20 minutes... aaargh!) and the dream from the night before is in the process of being turned into a one-off short story. Ah, I love my imagination - conscious and subconscious.

Not sure what's been happening with the school this term but so far every time we've been asked to outlay extra money we've only been given a couple of days notice. Fine, they've not been large amounts but I budget week-to-week, and having a sudden request for $20 can throw things out siginificantly. Anyway, I whinged quietly about this to one of the other mums and she told me yesterday that her husband – who's on the school committee – had raised my complaint at the latest finance meeting. Heh.

<grumble> Something's not working properly in my 'puter, it's got to the stage now I can't use ICQ and Word concurrently cos the system seizes and I have to reboot. This is really aggravating seeing as I do a good chunk of my writing while chatting to Joules (not to mention it's been impossible to chat to more than one person at a time for months anyway) and I can't retrieve any work I haven't saved if the computer freezes. Ah well, short of getting a completely new system there's not much I can do about it at the moment, and being a resourceful soul (once I've finished having a tantrum, that is) I can usually find a solution to most problems.
Notepad doesn't seem to cause any conflicts and I've discovered it's got a 'word rap' funtion. Excellent - this means everything is contained within the screen and I don't have to use the scroll bar to read along a sentence. :) I hate that.

Our local supermarket had my favourite plastic storage boxes on special again this week. I grabbed a couple and managed to decant the contents of another 4 ratty old cardboard boxes into them. Slowly, slowly working through...
One of the boxes I dealt with contained all my old metal miniatures that I've been meaning to paint for years. It was fun going through the assortment of Ral Partha, Grenadier and AD&D goodies (those names will probably mean more to gaming geeks :), and remembering what I'd intended to do with them. In my next house I'd like to be able to set up a work desk or table where I can, theoretically, work on these and my wooden boat model, and any other of the dozen or more crafty things I've planned in the last decade...

(nicked from onna's blog:)

What French word are you? by Jetster
Name/Handle
Worddéesse (goddss)
Created with the ORIGINAL MemeGen!


(Tch, and now the 'preview' function in Blogger's edit screen isn't working...)

No comments: