Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Forecast: 9-13
Attained: 10-16


I can haz hearing aid!




Should only really wear it for a couple of hours, twice a day, for the next week or so to give my brain time to assimilate the new sounds. How is it? Weird.
Echoey, and subjectively it seems as if the majority of the sound is coming in through my bad ear. There's also a noticeable difference between the 'natural' sound in my good ear and the electronically produced sound from the aid. Round and warm vs. spikey and and sharp. Eventually the sounds will be smoothed out and amalgamated.
Physically, it feels similar to having water in your ear, or being at high altitude and not being able to 'pop' the air bubble. I guess that's something else I'll get used to as well.
Was thoroughly distracted in the supermarket this morning: listening in to conversations happening in the next aisle over. :)
However, as well as thinking robots are decidedly iffy, I have a thing about implants. Can't abide the thought of electronics being grafted on to flesh [shudder] (which is going to make life interesting if I ever need a pacemaker!). Things like the Borg, and the Cybermen, are horrifying! My inner cyberphobe was actually growling when I first used the hearing aid this morning but knowing I could completely remove the thing if necessary got us over that first hurdle. There's no doubt though that it feels much more natural not having it in my ear. Eh, we'll see how it pans out.

~=o>


Signed the new lease: here for another year! And I've had my fortnightly electricity payments reduced by 40%. Woot!


No comments: