Sunday, March 18, 2007

<beaming> Yesterday, Niki and Soulsis hosted a fondue party for my birthday! Sooo much food! We started with a steam boat (was that what it's called, Niki?), more Chinese than Swiss, meat and vegies cooked in a ginger/garlic/lemongrass broth. Meat. Mmmm... Marinated pork, chicken and steak, and some rolled plain steak which - in my case - even made it into the soup before being scarfed.
Later, much later, we had a more traditional chocolate fondue. What can I say? The phrase 'chocolate bliss-out' just isn't adequate. We dipped fresh fruit, cake, lollies and <drooool> glacé cherries. Going to do that again, real soon, and I can cos I've now got a fondue set of my very own! Bright red! : )
I had a great time, thank you! And 12 hours later, I still don't feel hungry. <g>

Hehehehe. My poor cubs with their delicate sensibilities. "Don't look at the screen," I said, "I'm writing sex..." Never seen him move so fast. <snerk>
Yes, sex. I've just finished a short piece for the latest Pervy Werewolf Fanciers challenge. Did research and everything. I now know more about men's bottoms than I ever really wanted. :)

For my birthday I treated myself to a copy of Cleolinda Jones' Movies in fifteen minutes. Gods above it's so funny - though like a lot of parodies and spoofs I can't read more than one item at a time cos the humour dulls with close repetition.
But! Just thinking about her version of Attack of the Clones, or the LoTR trilogy, or Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Sorcerer's Philosopher's Stone makes me fall over laughing. I don't know that serious movie buffs would like this book - it takes the piss too well - but I love it .

And now some words of wisdom from 20 Sided: the DM of the Rings - a comic based on LotR as likely to be played by modern Dungeons and Dragons hack-slashers. Hee. The comic itself is very funny, but some of the DM's comments (at the bottom) are priceless. I've played with gamers like these, heck, to my shame I've been gamers like these. Though in my defence, I got better...

That which does not kill you was simply not permitted to do so for the purposes of the plot.

The DM will do a lot of talking, but if he’s not rolling the dice then what he’s saying is probably not important.

No matter how difficult or absurd you make a puzzle, your players will find an even more impossible and preposterous way of solving it.

Never provide a dungeon without treasure. The longer they search and find nothing, the more your players will be convinced that the treasure is bountiful and exceptionally well-hidden. If left unchecked, they will eventually dismantle and excavate the entire site in their search for loot.


No matter how epic the battle, once begun, the thing sounds more or less like a bingo game: People shout out numbers and other people get excited about them.

Players may blunder through dialog with shocking ineptitude, forget the name of the country they are in, or get confused about which side they are on, but once it comes time to roll for initiative they all turn into Sun Tzu.


... and finally:
Ask any fighter: A hammer is just a really heavy set of lockpicks.
Oh, so true. <smirk>

No comments: