Thursday, September 27, 2007

[sigh] No more Dr Who, or Torchwood for the moment. [sigh] (Impatiently waiting for the box set of Torchwood to be released...)

So, here we are almost at the middle of the school hols. Rocket's been sick so we haven't done much at all (a blessing in disguise cos there's a definite shortfall in cash this time) but we did get to see Surf's Up. I liked it, even aside from the inherent cuteness of penguins. There was nothing innovative in the story or characters but it was well cast, and funny, and did a good job capturing the spirituality of surfing. (Never surfed, never had much interest, but I can see how poking about with something that primal could engender the reverence I've seen in surfers.)

DVDs, from my library.

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! [snerk] I do have a soft spot for the old sexploitation films.
I'd heard a lot about this movie over the years so when I saw it on the shelves I grabbed it. Definite B grade schlock (sex! death! sex!). The acting is - to put it mildly - flat, and the dialogue...? [shakes head] Oooh, deary me.
But, I can see why it gained cult status. Not one I'll be adding to my collection any time soon though.

Finally got 'round to seeing Sin City. Wow. I'm impressed, thoroughly squicked but impressed. Haven't read the graphic novels - though I'm familiar with the style - and this is a fantastic adaptation of the medium. There was nothing extraneous and nothing I didn't find convincing - which is disturbing given the violence. Oh yes, the violence. Some of those images are seared in to my eyeballs. Even though the worst of it was rendered 'unrealistically', that didn't stop it being horrific. But, my gods, the overall style is amazing, this lives for me. Would I have been as awed without a love/knowledge of comic books? I don't know, but I am always pleased to see movie makers go beyond the ordinary.

Finally, 24 Hour Party People. Hm, not sure what to say about this one. It charts the musical history of 'Factory Records' (Joy Division, Happy Monday's etc) in Manchester during the early '80's, as told by its founder Tony Wilson (Steve Coogan). It's entertaining but... odd, based on real events but with an egotistical spin, even though Wilson says he's 'a bit player in his own story'. Probly helped that I knew something of the bands/music to start with or I could've got bogged down in the details. It was very sad, though, I came out of it with a sense of loss. Still trying to work out why. Heh, but as with most music films I've seen it's given me a new appreciation for the artists and their work. :)

No comments: