Monday, June 02, 2008

Nicked from Blpaintchart:

Empire magazines 100 top films. Bold what you've seen; italic[sic - it's late] the ones you haven't got 'round to yet. Notes as appropriate. :)



1. Star Wars (at the cinema on its first release no less...)
2. Jaws (nope, far too scary)
3. The Empire Strikes Back (see 1.)
4. The Shawshank Redemption
5. Goodfellas (was this the one with Ray Liotta?)
6. Pulp Fiction
7. The Godfather (well, sort of. It was on tv one night)
8. Saving Private Ryan
9. Schindler's List
10. Titanic (Yes, I saw this. Once.)
11. The Usual Suspects (I guessed the twist early!)
12. Citizen Kane
13. The Godfather Part II (no, I'd lost interest by this point)
14. Aliens
15. Blade Runner (made more sense than the book, let me tell you)
16. Raiders of the Lost Ark (see 1. and 3.)
17. Casablanca
18. Gone With the Wind (avoiding)
19. The Sound of Music (hey, I make my clothes out of old curtains, too!)
20. It's A Wonderful Life (stupid, sappy, saccarine, sentimental)
21. Reservoir Dogs
22. Apocalypse Now
23. 2001: A Space Odyssey
24. LA Confidential
25. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
26. The Silence of the Lambs (I watched it through my fingers...)
27. Return of the Jedi (see 1. and 3.)
28. Leon
29. Braveheart (I'm astonished I managed to sit through this, at 8 months pregnant with twins, and didn't need to go to the loo)
30. Seven
31. Die Hard (Yippy kai-ay, motherfucker.)
32. North by Northwest (Once, a looooong time ago)
33. The Truman Show (interesting concept)
34. Taxi Driver (fell asleep during this)
35. Jurassic Park (I cried cos the dinosaurs weren't real)
36. Alien (see 1. etc)
37. Psycho
38. Raging Bull
39. Some Like It Hot
40. Lawrence of Arabia (one of my favourites! Go, subtext!)
41. The Good the bad and the ugly
42. Rear Window (is it just me or is James Stuart overrated as an actor?)
43. E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial ([sigh] see 1. not that impressed)
44. The Deer Hunter
45. Terminator 2
46. The Terminator (the best one!)
47. Fargo
48. Cabaret (squee! another favourite!)
49. Face/Off (enjoyed this, though scoffed at the 'science')
50. Speed (mmm... Keanu...)
51. The Matrix (can't say I have seen this, not really)
52. Singin' in the Rain ('I'm worth more than Kevlin Coolidge... Put together!')
53. The Exorcist
54. Ben Hur ([smirk])
55. Trainspotting (eye-candy McDrooly)
56. Forrest Gump (life is like a box of chocolates. Looked good on the shelf but you just wish you hadn't paid cash for them...)
57. Dr Strangelove
58. Zulu
59. Vertigo
60. The Wild Bunch
61. Once Upon a Time in the West
62. The Italian Job (the original version, of course)
63. The Shining (another one I watched through my fingers)
64. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
65. The English Patient
66. Heat
67. The Wizard of Oz
68. A Clockwork Orange
69. Grease
70. Platoon
71. Stand By Me
72. Back to the Future
73. Withnail and I
74. JFK (loved Kevin Bacon in this)
75. The Seven Samurai (can't remember if I've seen this...)
76. Get Carter (the original, of course)
77. The Third Man
78. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
79. Armaggedon
80. Chinatown
81. Goldfinger
82. The Untouchables
83. Once Upon a Time in America
84. True Romance (who compiled this list, on what basis?)
85. Unforgiven
86. Scarface
87. The Blues Brothers (in the cinema, with audience participation)
88. The Graduate
89. When Harry Met Sally (what a waste of time)
90. Dances With Wolves
91. Spartacus ([smirk] I like gladiator movies)
92. Toy Story
93. Cinema Paradiso
93. Life is Beautiful
95. Grosse Point Blank
96. Annie Hall (went to see this as an excursion in High School. All I remember is the lobster...)
97. Dead Poets Society
98. Good Will Hunting
99. 12 Angry Men
100. Easy Rider

Not a particularly satisfying list, is it? How about a different approach? 5 favourite animated films - 5 favourite obscure films - 5 guilty pleasures - 5 most influential - 5 favourite kids' flicks - 5 'oh gods, that's x amount of time I'll never get back'? [grin]

No comments: