Tuesday, April 25, 2006

<happy sigh> I watched Velvet Goldmine today, first time in months. I forget how much I love that movie. The interactions and tangled histories of the main characters still fascinate me.

Thank you, Sue! If I hadn't read your blog I wouldn't have picked up 'Forests of the Heart' by Charles de Lint. Wow, fabulous book, fabulous author. The story started slowly because there was so many characters to introduce, but once the pace picked up and the individual threads began to flow and twine I couldn't put it down. Fortunately the library has a lot of his work for me to ferret out and pounce on. Forget the Anita Blake series, this stuff is far more engaging!

I let the cubs watch the 'South Park Movie'. I admit I was a little concerned cos the language is... extreme's too extreme a description, but it is pretty full-on. I warned the cubs beforehand but they still wanted to see it, so...
<g> They enjoyed it, so much so they've watched it 3 times now. Fortunately perhaps a lot of the humour and concepts are zipping way above their heads (I'm waiting for them to ask me what a clitoris is) but they're having a good time cracking up at the slapstick. I've forbidden them to sing the <ahem> Terrance & Phillip song at school cos that will completely ruin my reputation as a responsible parent. : )

"Every Breath You Take" really is a malevolent song.
I miss The Police sometimes. They produced some incredible music and were an excellent live band.

'kay, I'm definitely past the half-way mark in the rewrite now but damn it's been a battle at times. Not that there's terribly much to tweak but when I'm in the midst of a <hand to forehead> this is clunky and puerile and no one will ever want to read it!! crisis of confidence I sometimes find myself wondering if it wouldn't be easier to start again with something new. I'm not going to, of course, because I'm lazy but stubborn, and I'm not going to waste over a year's worth of effort (plus the time Joules has put in beta'ing for me). I just have to remind myself sometimes that I can and will see this through to the end. After all, I finished the initial draft of the story, what's harder than that? <g>

No comments: