Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Cars.
I don't have the words... but in the interests of doing the thing justice I will try to find them. :)
Gods, where to start? Um...
The plot was simple, no surprises there, but as I've found with all of Pixar's things the characterisations more than make up for any cliches. True, there's a lot of borderline stereotypes but they're handled so deftly by both the voice-cast and the animators that they become believable, even lovable in some cases.
Okay, visually, this movie was... wow. The speedway sequences were stunning, and the backgrounds/scenery were a cause for endless delight. Again, Pixar has taken the idea of a world and made it live and breath in super-realistic detail. (Hee. Cadillac Ranges and Ornament Valley. You have to see it to believe it.)
There were loads of visual jokes - some very subtle - as well as loads of self-referencing from previous Pixar productions. Do please stay for the end credits! I laughed as hard during those as at any point in the movie.

Right, I can sense myself descending into incoherency at the wonderfulness of it all - there'll be nothing more sensible out of me tonight.
Cubs and I will be definitely seeing it again. We'll get the DVD as well, when it's released even though Cars will certainly lose impact on the small screen.
(Oh, and the short this time was something called 'One-man band'. Not as charming or funny as 'For the Birds' or 'Boundin' but still wonderfully detailed and giggle-worthy.)
Very happy we finally got to see the movie - been waiting for at least eighteen months...
(<frown> Who's got the copy of The Incredibles, Soulsis? I've lost track. :)

Speaking of Soulsis, she visited last week and brought me presents!
A Danger Mouse DVD! (Eeeee! Crumbs, DM!); a very pretty pink/purple polar fleece scarf; a wee little plush fish; a gorgeous burgundy ceramic tri-part serving dish fashioned from leaves, and a set of 1970's paper-plate holders shaped as fish. <g> Authentic colours too: mustard, burnt orange, cacky (Missionary) brown and sage green. Ooh, I love vintage tat... <bounce> Thanks, Soulsis!


No comments: