Friday, June 16, 2006

I grumbled when the alarm went off this morning, until I remembered we're on holidays!

Odd dream last night. Some friends and myself were looking at renting apartments in a huge towerblock in Melbourne's CBD. Someone, the cubs' father I think, was making suggestions about who could live where and said the cubs and I could share a three bedroom unit with... Robert de Niro. I protested that; the cubs need their own rooms! Besides, I didn't know this bloke why would I want to share with him?
Toted up my finances and thought I could just possibly afford a unit on my own though rent would take up 2/3rds of my income. (Which just goes to prove this was a dream - even a bedsit apartment in the docklands would be waaaaaay beyond my reach.)
But the units were quite nice, roomy and light though the building felt quite old, not one of the new glass and chrome edifices that have been fashionable recently. The view of the Yarra and the ports was lovely and you could open a window and catch a sea breeze, or watch the weather coming in...
There was bugger all space for the cubs to run around however, but then, I thought, they don't do much of that anyway, and there was a swimming pool nearby where we could get discount vouchers. So, I decided it was do'able, expensive but do'able.
And then I woke up before I had to start dealing with all the crap that comes along with moving house. :) Still, a docklands apartment? I could go for that...

Of all the GoF stickers I'm missing, the majority are either the 3D or 'character' ones. Demn annoying. Heh, ordering from the company might be an option now cos I'm likely to spend far more than the order price trying to find the missing numbers buying sticker packets. Eh, next month perhaps, once the rent is paid.

Mum rang me last night to complain that she had to hear it on the radio that the cubs' school is reopening - why didn't I tell her?
Um, cos it's so low priority in my mind I forgot? <g> I've got far more important things to think about! I also didn't volunteer to help with the move because, well, I'm lazy, for one thing, and I know just how much use I won't be in a situation working cooperatively with lots of people I barely know.

Cubs got their half-year reports - they didn't vary much from previous ones. Their teachers again acknowledge that my boys are intelligent and capable but bemoan the lack of motivation which is holding them back from excelling. <shrug> They don't have much pride or interest in their work but I don't know what I can do, or if I should try. When they are interested in something the focus they can bring to bear is astonishing, but... They're keeping ahead of what they need to know, and they're both excellent readers and widely read which, as far as life-skills go, is one of the most important and useful you can have.
Should I be worried about this apparent lack of interest in reaching their potential? If they're anything like their father and myself - which, given what I've seen, is likely - they'll happily apply themselves once they've found what it is they want to do. Their organisational skills could definitely stand some improvement, but then, so could mine. In that respect, as a role-mode, I would be marked 'unsatisfactory'. <g> Oh well, in that case, perhaps there is something I can do? Pull my own socks up and serve as an example...

No comments: