Sunday, April 21, 2013

Forecast: 7-20°
Attained: 7-20°


Busy day. Started early with a trip to the shops to get supplies for Ms Raven's party this afternoon, then a quick dash up to the train station to pick up the cubs' father who's just come back from overseas. He came back to our place for a little while, catching up with the cubs while I made a pile of fairy bread.
We gave him a lift home then drove out to Studley Park Boathouse and Picnic Area for the party.

Well. That was an adventure.
It would've been fine if I hadn't misread the sodding street directory, taken a wrong turn and ended up three suburbs away. Then had to find my way back to where it all went wrong, in Sunday traffic, in a part of Melbourne that doesn't seem to hold much store in clearly labelling streets. Most of the delay was trying to find out where the frack we were then try to correlate it back to the directory. Grrr...
My poor cubs. They put up with a lot from me. There was swearing, and almost tears, and - frankly - histrionics as I became more and more pissed off.
Anyway, after a few more minor false turns we finally got back to where I'd originally decided that hang on, shouldn't we be going that way? The absolute pisser of the thing was that three streets down from where we should've gone was the turn-off we should've taken. I was incredulous, and there was more swearing cos now I was sure the gods were laughing at me. Humph.

After that it was relatively easy, except for arriving an hour late, and there being no convenient parking. I dropped the cubs off with the picnic stuff then went off to find parking on the main road. Ended up being ten minutes walk away, which doesn't sound like much but I was in a foul mood and begrudged every extra step...

But! The day was good! Lots of food, all the fairy bread was eaten, and there was walks and bridges and a river and games and shennanigans. Five of our assorted youngsters, including a cub and the birthday girl, hired a row boat -



- to go messing about on the river.



Hee, and in honour of the Wind in the Willows theme, here's soulsis in rabbit ears. (She doesn't know I took this picture.)



It was a lovely day, in a lovely spot. We made it home without incident - almost: a small wrong-turn but nowhere near as bad as previously - then a quiet evening at home, without dinner cos we were all so full of party food. :)

~=o>

No comments: