Sunday, December 30, 2007

After a 40 degree day, a 30 degree day feels almost pleasant in comparison...
(That's in celsius, by the way, and zipping over to a temperature conversion page I see that 40C is 104F. Well, there you go. Hot, damn hot.)


Xmas was good, a relatively quiet and relatively stress-free bbq at Mum's with Soulsis and her chicks. I think everyone liked their gifts. I know I liked mine. My niece, Miss Raven, painted me a gorgeous picture of an otter! It's going to be framed. :) The cubs gave me the OotP dvd, and from their dad I received a pair of lovely blue/white fish-themed Japanese bowls. Mum gave me a gift voucher (cos that's what I said I wanted) plus a pair of bendy flamingo plant-ties. [grin] They might even be inspiration enough to plant some tomatoes or something. Eventually.

Not sure if it's the same in other countries, but here in Aus the tending of the bbq - the last of fire rituals - is generally a man thing. Well, for various reasons there were no men as such at our family xmas so Soulsis drafted one of her boys in to service. He did an excellent job, no charred meat and only 2 sausages lost to the ground! He was justifiably pleased with himself but I'm not sure if he realises that now he's going to be the man-elect for future bbqs.

After the bbq the cubs and I stayed overnight at Mum's, but only overnight as they were most anxious to get home and play with the new xbox their dad had given them. [rolls eyes] I've given them fair warning that they have to brace themselves for separation from the machine cos we'll be going up to visit Mum for a few days later in the holidays...


Now for a small socio-political rant. Feel free to skip.
At the cubs' school graduation thingy the chairperson of the Parents' Association got up to say a few words. Those words however, got right up my little proletarian nose. In effect he was congratulating us - the parents, students and teachers - because some of the kids were going on to private secondary schools.
Grrrr...
It was an implication that first, it was somehow an unusual effort for a government-funded school to produce such quality and second, that it was some sort of achievement on the part of the students.
Bollocks!
Those kids are going to private schools because their parents can afford it. There were no scholarships won: believe me, we would've heard about it if there was! True, the private schools have 'standards', whereas State schools can't refuse anyone, regardless of their academic results, but bloody hell, just cos a child's been accepted to one of these elite institutions does not automatically speak of an innate superiority! [ruffles feathers] Hmph.
Is it just sour grapes? If I had the means would I send the cubs to a private school? I don't know. Their dad would, but then he's a grammar school boy himself and the effects of the differences in our socio-economic backgrounds has been a subject we've mutually skirted-around for years. :) If anyone tells you Australia is a classless society they're talking out of their arse.


Okay, </rant>, now that I've revealed my leftist pinko tendencies.

HappyLucky New Year's Eve!

No comments: