Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I'm here. Let joy be unconfined."
[snerk] That's a quote from Dougal, of the Magic Roundabout.
I've always had a soft spot for the show - even as a five year old I knew it was ludicrous, but I loved the simple flowers, and Ermintrude. :) I remember in one of my children's book Annuals there was a 'make your own Dougal' craft project. It involved the inside tube of a toilet roll; a ping pong ball; quantities of yellow wool; a felt-tip pen, and glue. Ah, good times, good times...
Imagine my horror, then, when I discovered there'd been a CGI movie remake! [Shudder] I saw a picture... And then... and then I read the 'plot' and ran away screaming. It seemed to be the same sort of buggering attempt at an 'update' that'd made the Thomas The Tank Engine movie such an eye-watering abomination.

[...and now, an awkward segue...]
But speaking of movies, I saw a good one last night. My niece, Miss Raven, won tickets to a preview of The Golden Compass and invited me along.
I read the books last year for the first time and was bowled over. The movie...? It was a good, if scant, overview of the world but felt rushed and consequently the subtle, slow build to horror was lost along with the layers of almost incidental information that made this such a rich read. Great cast, though, and fantastic spfx (love the bears! and the dirigibles!) The cubs want to see it now, and I have no objection to watching it again.

180SXY
That was a numberplate I saw today, on a flashy sort of sporty car. The ambiguity made me laugh. Was it sposed to be an '18 oh, sexy!' sort of statement? Because it looked to me like '180[degrees]sexy', which would the complete opposite of sexy, wouldn't it?

No comments: