Saturday, December 08, 2007

A mystery. I has one.
I picked up a set of 4 glasses in an op shop the other day. The glass is vaguely green - always a winner with me - and they're a nice shape. I think they're also quite old, 70's at least perhaps, but I didn't notice 'til I got home that they had a logo or something printed on them. The print is completely missing on 2 of the glasses and partially obscured on the others. What I could make out though, was it appeared to be a crest of some kind with the words "The -arwhal Rifles".
Neat!, I thought, The Narwhal Rifles. Could be a Norwegian regiment? Which is silly, cos surely then the text would be in Norwegian?
Google failed me - admittedly I couldn't be arsed doing an indepth search so that was probly my own fault - but I'm still curious. Are the glasses military memorabilia? Souvenirs? Hell, I don't know, The ?? Rifles could be/have been a gun club; a theatre company; a joke! (No comments, please, about the last two being so very similar.)
I might ask the resident military expert for his opinion. Or I could keep searching, checking every letter of the alphabet against that missing one. That should waste me some serious time...

On Thursday I donated blood for the second time: the first time was over a decade ago.
Aside from experiencing a fleeting moment of 'wrongness' when my vital essence began to flow, it was fine. No faintness, no nausea. Mild boredom for having to sit there for 10 minutes with nothing to watch but Oprah, but on the whole it was a doddle. Didn't enjoy the experience, especially when instructed to squeeze a rubber ball. That action made the muscles in my arm move and I could feel the needle under my skin (are you still with me, soulsis? :) but even so it was nowhere near as bad as having an IV put in to the back of my hand. [shudder]
Afterwards I was rewarded with an orange juice and a couple of cheese portions. I reckon I could do this regularly, if only for the cheese.

Yay! My Snupin Santa gift has gone up on the site! 'Gold Moon'. 's very cool. Thank you, mystery writer. :)

And lastly, Soulsis found this site - Free Rice. For every word you get right, you donate 20 grains of rice. The vocab levels go up to 50 and I've cracked 48 [is smug]. Mind you, that would be noticeably lower if I wasn't as widely, and eclectically, read as I am!
Be warned, though, it's addictive. Just one more word then I'll do something else... oh goodness, I've been here an hour...

No comments: