Sunday, April 01, 2012

Forecast: 14-22
Attained: 17-21


Woohoo! Increased bandwidth from 20GB a month to 120GB! Our godlike download limit, as the cubs put it.


~=o>


Fantastic dream last night...
There was an intricate though decaying/crumbling building set on a beautiful, rolling hillscape. The building was crumbling cos the hill it was built on had an aquifer beneath it, which was disolving the base of the hill which in turn was causing significant - and increasing - subsidence. (At some point it was revealed that the 'hillscape' was essentially islands of dense vegetation.)

Off my own bat I was inventorying the contents of the building, working out priorities for salvage but no one seemed inclined to take the matter seriously even though the building was groaning and listing around us. Looking out of some of the lower windows I could see masses of rotting plants, the buildings foundations, rolling and tumbling against the glass. Fasicnating but disconcerting. I was sure the pressure would cave in the windows before long.

I rode - or flew - along the adjoining waterway and discovered some distance away a series of huge wooden stakes driven in to the bottom of the river. The stakes ranged from brand new through to tangles of black decay. I realised that this was a deliberate acidifying of the aquifer to destabilise not just the building but the entire landscape. It had been going on for some time...

Back at the building, standing outside on the roof, I could see two enormous hover cranes being flown towards us. The purpose of these was to attach to the island, to stabilise it and by means of the hover mechanism, keep it from sinking. I didn't think this was going to work. My exact thoughts were, 'Oh great, more technology to go wrong...'. Sure, it worked at first. I could feel the land/building level out and lift but before long the engines failed and we began to sink again, only this time with the added weight of the cranes...

(While I was watching the cranes come in I noticed a flying tram rise up and take off towards the city. There were people in there, like most public transport patrons, not particularly interested in how they were getting to their destinations. I thought this was extraordinary! You're in a tram, people! That's flying! :)



No comments: