Friday, April 08, 2005

Monumentally annoyed.
The cubs' father's old, unpaid cable bill has turned up on mine. Grrrr... When he said he'd 'sorted' the outstanding amount (the arrears that ended with his losing the connection) I naively assumed that meant he'd paid the bloody thing off.
I shall have to have words.

You know, I really need some bookcases so I can bring my eclectic assortment of books out of storage. I realised today, on the way to the bus-stop, that probly the main reason my general/literary knowledge is better than average is because from a very young age I was browsing my parents' bookshelves. My cubs don't really have that option at the moment. They have their bookshelf in their bedroom, then there's only one other bookshelf available to them in the lounge-room and that's half-full of DVD's and photos. (There's one slim shelf in my bedroom but given the usual clutter in there even I can't access that without effort.) <grumble> I need space...

Not been paying an awful lot of attention to the whole Pope thing but one image in the media caught my attention: that of Dubya in the thick of it all looking extremely uncomfortable and out of place. It occured to me that given his religious background there's a good chance he was brought up being told that Catholicism was one fairy-step over from worship of the anti-christ.
No wonder he looked uneasy.

I've been working through my list of interesting typos etc. as new characters appear in SFSG, finding names for them all. I remarked to Joules that I was going to run out of names soon but today I found an excellent source to supplement the typos.
Ablyn - Gabie - Jonti - Rache - Taila - Keely - Mohi - Miriama...
These were all first names from Nickelodeon's daily 'Birthday Bop' list. Hee.
Ah, now there's a thought, I could always pay a visit to Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing. Some of the names listed there would be perfect in a sci-fi setting - much better than trying to foist them on a child in the here and now. <smirk>

The cubs and I went to the Melbourne International Flower Show today. Or rather, I went and dragged them along with me. : ) Eh, wasn't too bad, they didn't get too bored and in fact found some of the exhibits fascinating, being genuinely intrigued to see 'art' made with organic elements. It helped that we were able to track down the source of free balloons amongst the too-many-to-count booths so the cubs went away happy.
I knew I should've brought my camera though. The first thing we saw in the exhibition hall was 2 huge flamingos made from pink carnations! Tch. Ah well.
Got away with only buying the cubs one icecream each - we brought all our food and drink - but I probly would've spent more if I'd gone on my own and had a proper chance to browse. There was lots of very cool stuff on offer including some gorgeous orchids, Joules, but on closer inspection they were either made of plastic or modelling clay.
A fun day, but I'm tired now and it's supposed to be hot again tomorrow. Tch. 'Unseasonal heat'. No, really? <grump>

No comments: