Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Awww. KittenKong will leave the warmth of the fire to come and sit on me. It must be love...

Yay! Finished the Snupin! And at 24 pages I think that's the longest bit of fan fic I've ever written. Excepting, perhaps, some of those mammoth chapters I contributed to Joules' AC. But anyway, reasonably pleased with it.

The cubs and I went with their Dad on Sunday to the annual Japan Festival in Box Hill; our third year in a row. Blimey, where to start? Ah yes, the Trader's Hall. Lots of stalls, lots of lovely stuff. The cubs bought themselves some toys; I didn't get myself another vinyl figurine of an uber-perky bishojo as I have in previous years. There were several there but none that I really wanted. Instead I bought a book of Hiroshige prints postcards. Just gorgeous!
Next, the cubs and I trooped over to the adjoining building for the flea market and activities. One of the cubs spotted a huge gourd melon and proclaimed it was the biggest pear he'd ever seen! I don't think he believed me when I said it was something like a pumpkin. The stall-holders all thought he was very cute, though. <g>. We found the origami room and I was made a purple frog and a pink boat.
In another room were model trains! Much to the cubs delight. N gauge models of Japanese trains. So woodgie and wee!
Food! We didn't tackle the food hall cos the crush of people was frightening, but there were some traders inside the main building so I got myself some pickled fish sushi ('kin' yum!) and some herb and red bean paste daifuku. There was lots and lots of other foodstuffs to choose from and with an unlimited budget I could've quite easily eaten myself into a stupor. We couldn't see any fairy-floss this year, not that that bothered me. Keeping an eye on two young boys is hard enough without sugar being a factor.
We had an hour or so to wait for the cubs' father's 'performance' so we wandered over to the hall to see if we could get seats. Unfortunately the place was packed but I managed to find one seat at the edge and the cubs sat on the floor beside me - when they weren't down the front of the hall, peering over the stage etc. We arrived just at the beginning of 'youth' section and, I must be getting old, but I was floundering for understanding in places. Two bands performed, a local amateur (I think) and a Japanese professional. Didn't catch the name of either. The local band was of the grungy persuasion and wasn't too bad, what I could hear despite the dodgy sound-system. The Japanese band made me giggle. Four thin and angular young men with spikey hair. Cute, if you like that sort of thing. I gathered they were somewhat known here; they had fans in the audience who knew their songs and squealed enthusiastically throughout the performance. Now, while the bands took it in turns to play, projected behind them was a bizarre multi-media display incorporating modern and traditional symbols of Japan. Plus, we were treated to a sort of fashion show of - I presume - currently popular street wear in Japan. And then, in the middle of all this two girls in school uniforms did an energetic dance to Tatu's "All the things she said". <blink> Which was... interesting.
Overall, that section was loud but entertaining. The next part of the programme was listed as 'Live Calligraphy'. Didn't sound especially dynamic, but it was. 3 people stretched a looong piece of calico out across the stage and, to the accompaniment of a few drums, the artist scribed something that covered the material from end to end - in about five minutes. Then he tore the cloth in half, scrunching up a piece to make a double fistful of impromptu brush. He dipped the lot in a bowl of ink and used it to complete his next piece on four big boards at the back of the stage. Very cool!
And then at last the cubs' father was there introducing his naginata group and talking the audience through the display. Cubs were thrilled.
I needed a break after that so I nipped out for some fresh air and the loo. Got back in time to see 'Action Dance' a Japanese dance group that incorporated martial arts in the moves. ...Right. Athletic people leaping about the stage looking fierce and brandishing (plastic, I have it on good authority) weapons at each other. And then Mr Shiny Purple Pants entered the fray with Mr Shiny Silver pants. An epic battle ensued with nearly everyone dying. Hong Kong cinema, live on stage, without the fountaining blood. It appears I have completely lost all capacity to take dance seriously. <g>
The programme wound to an end. The raffle prizes were drawn and then... the drums! The drums always make everything worthwhile. <happy sigh> They're the main reason I go to the festival. That and the food... :)

No comments: