Sunday, September 02, 2012

Forecast: 6-19
Attained: 6-19


Gorgeous sunny day today. It only got to 19 but it felt much hotter in the city, where I was this afternoon gettin' sum culcha.

I went in to the NGV to see the Light Works exhibition. Unfortunately it wasn't as fab as I'd anticipated. Twenty-ish works in total; a couple of beautiful Bill Henson skyscapes and one of Hiroshi Sugimoto's 'Theaters'* were the highlights for me. I'd particularly been looking forward to seeing a selection of HS's work. Eh well.
So, only spent a little while there then skipped over to the 19th/20th century rooms and got very squee-y.

My favourite painting was back! The last few times I'd been in the gallery it hadn't been on display.

Saison d'octobre; Jules Bastien-Lepage, 1878.




Big canvas - almost 2m x 2m and the light is just luminous...


Also finally got a good pic of this little ceramic horse. Previously it's always been in a display cabinet and I was never able to get close enough.

Horse; Michael Powolny (designer), Wierner Keramik (manufacturer), c1910.




I'm eternally enchanted by the life and roundness of this piece.

Wandered around outside in the sculpture garden, somewhere I haven't been for years, then decided to treat myself to an afternoon tea at the posh cafe on the first floor.



Was elegant and delicious an' all but really not worth the price. Still, was glad I was able to do something nice for myself with my tax money.
Before leaving I visited the gift shop and spent considerably less.
Picked up some lovely postcards, including one of my fav painting, andandand a poster of the same! Going to have to give some thought in how I want that framed...




There's more pics, naturally, but I'll put those up on flickr tomorrow.


[* The official spelling, not the correct one.]







1 comment:

Joules *Dances with Haddock* Taylor said...

Interesting links - and I love the horse!