Saturday, December 29, 2012

Forecast: 14-22°
Attained: 15-22°


Note to self: if falling asleep on the couch, make sure you're in a comfortable position beforehand. Ow...

~=o>

Excerpts from Suggested New Years Reading Resolutions, taken from Booktopia's latest newsletter.
(Edited and/or expanded by moi.)

I will read one classic.
I will finish Gone with the Wind in 2013.
 
I will read one poem every month.
Maybe? I don't have a lot of patience with poetry. Perhaps that's why I should try to keep this resolution, eh?
 
I will read the book BEFORE I see the film.
I tend to work the other way: if the film catches my imagination I'll read the book to get extra insight.

I will read one thing outside my comfort zone or read one thing from a genre I have a prejudice against.
I try to read as widely as possible anyway. I've been shuddering my way through the occasional teen/adult paranormal romance in 2012.

I will not cheat and read the ending before I get to it.
Never been tempted!
 
I will not spoil other readers' pleasure by giving away crucial plot details in conversation, no matter how enthusiastic, indignant or intoxicated I am.
I have done this in the past and felt so guilty. If I'm going to flail at someone now I always check first that a: they've already read the thing or b: they don't mind spoilers.
 
I will not be a book snob: I won't put down someone because I think their taste in books is trashier than mine.
I never say it out loud. I'm only judging them in my head. Does that count?
 
I will not crack the spines of books unless they belong to me(Sorry, but I like that sound, it's like the noise of the book surrendering itself).
No. Just no.

I will not give up on a book because I don't like/can't identify with the central character. What kind of a pathetic excuse is that? (Do you have to like Raskolnikov to appreciate Crime and Punishment? Unpleasant characters are all too human and so much more interesting in their complexity).
I will however give up on a book if it's rubbish. Life's too short for bad fiction.

I will give away books I don't intend to reread once I have read them to my local library or to a community book drive or charity.
I am already (slowly) working through my pile of 'read and pass on' books.
 
I will reread something I loved as a child /adolescent so that I can enjoy it all over again and rediscover my original joy at discovering it.
Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. Wind in the Willows is a constant delight; Anne McCaffrey's Pern books were disappointingly simple when I reread them as an adult.
 
I will read something written by an Australian author.
Yup. I already have both fiction and non-fiction in the pile, ready to go...

 
~=o>


Another pic of KittenKong asleep. Fast asleep on the 'puter. She didn't flinch when I moved, nor when I used the flash. I love the way her tail is hanging straight down the back.



~=o>

No comments: