Monday, November 22, 2004

Roast cherry tomatoes – when dropped from waist height to the floor – go splot

<grrrr> Well that was fun. Went outside to feed the piggles and found they'd escaped from their cage. Not sure if they'd been 'helped' or not, the brick holding the catbox up against the bulk of the enclosure had been pushed to one side and the catbox itself moved. Hm. Could've been a dog – with the back fence still down (nope, it's not been repaired yet) it's possible one of the little beasts could've got in.
In this instance I was glad of the hip-high grass in the backyard, it meant the piggles didn't have to go far to look for shelter (heh, they were lurking around the mandarin tree 6 inches away from their cage) which made them easier to find and catch.

<astonished> Fed the cubs some pumpkin mashed in with potato tonight and they ate the lot! Cor! I don't doubt the lashings of grated cheese in the mix didn't hurt, either.

Counted all the bits of the 2nd quilt into neat, row-sized bundles and at the end there was none missing, or left over. Hoorah!

The school has put up metal roofs over the walkways around the portable classrooms. With summer coming on the extra shade will be more than welcome. As a bonus the new, temporary school now has more parent-shelters than the old one did.

For ages I've been craving Honey Smacks, a sticky-sweet breakfast cereal from years ago. The closest available substitute is something called Honey Weets (different company, I think) but I've resisted buying them cos a: they're full of suger, and b: they're reaaally expensive. But, I succumbed the other day…
Gee, they're yummy. : ) I've been enjoying them immensely.
It'll probly be a while before I indulge myself again, but at least I know they're close to what I remember the taste of the original cereal to be.

Well, okay, yes, I have been writing a sort of LoTR fanfic and to do it I've been using a style of language that's much different to what I normally use. It's been remarkably easy to fall into the cadence though. As Joules said, this older form of English is beautiful, rich and very descriptive and it's a pleasure to work with. I couldn't see it meshing well with something like Dystopia but there's a couple of fantasy type scenarios pending – I could try using it there, see how it feels…
But then again, I've seen older styles of language used in modern, or futurisitic plots and settings and they combined brilliantly. Hm…

Ahah! Found a copy of Matrix – Reloaded for less than half-price in a department store sale. I'll nip in and put a copy on lay-by later this week. : )
Couldn't find a copy of The Two Towers anywhere though. Tch.

The cubs and I went to soulsis' over the weekend so I could look after all the bratlings while soulsis ran around attending meetings and conferences and getting stressed. It wasn't too bad, actually. The children are all old enough now they don't need constant supervision (and they can make their own breakfast and sandwiches) so I was left to my own devices for a good deal of the time. Got a lot of sewing done… (Could've managed a wee bit more writing than I did but I'd forgotten my ear-plugs.)
Slept in both mornings though, horribly. The problem is that soulsis has curtains on her bedroom windows and I don't. I usually wake up when it's light and go to sleep when it's dark. That normally works for me but when – because of the curtains – it's dark all the time… <g> Ooops.
And finally, soulsis found me a gorgeous purple plush gold-fish! It's got a fantail! So cute!

(… okay, this is 'finally')
On Friday night as we were trying to puzzle out how soulsis' digital camera worked, I inadvertanly made 3, 10 second movies of KittenKong. Hee. I thought I was taking a still picture, but the camera was on the wrong setting… Live and learn, eh, live and learn.

(And an addendum: the owner of the property adjoining ours at the back, just came round about the fence. We've given her the contact number for the estate agent so she'll be dealing with them. Funnily enough she used to rent our house 4 years before we did. Heh.)

No comments: