Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Gah. Impulse shopping. I shouldn't wander aimlessly around the shopping centre when I'm feeling less than sparkling…

Neon-tetras, the little shiny fish, come from murky waters, that's why they're so bright, so they can recognise their shoal in the gloom. Does that mean that the tetras being bred – and kept – in captivity, in clear water, will eventually become less bright cos they don't need the colours?

It's not often I get the urge to cook anything more than I absolutely have to but I made a cake on the weekend. An apple upside-down cake. (I really wanted a pineapple upside-down cake 'cept I didn't have any pineapple.) Anyway, it was easy and fun, though I ended up cooking the thing just a smidge too long and the sugar/butter goo in the base of the pan didn't so much caramalize as turn to toffee. Mmmm… apple-flavoured toffee… This also made the edges of the cake lovely and chewy. <g> Needless to say it didn't last long, though it was the cubs' father and I who polished it off, the cubs weren't interested. I mean it was different and therefore probably poisonous… <rolls eyes>

Heh – 'self-insertion'. It even sounds masturbatory. <smirk>

It's nestling season again. How do I know? Is it the busy to-ing and fro-ing of the mummy and daddy birds as they bring food to their broods? No, it's the dead baby bird lovingly deposited outside my bedroom door.
Bloody cat. At least it wasn't a native species…

No comments: