Friday, November 12, 2004

To quote Kenny Everett (in a high-pitched, overly campy voice):
"Oh, wot a day I've had..."
The car's brakes have been squealing for the past week, having been worn down to the metal. The cubs' father had an attack of 'Y' chromosome and decided to fix them himself so he dropped the cubs and I off at their school this morning then trotted (screeched) off to get the parts. While he was doing that I puttered around the shopping centre paying bills and staring wistfully at the neat stuff I can't afford before heading home on the bus.
So far so good.
Now, to complicate matters, the school was having its annual prep-grade 3 dinner this evening which was due to start at 5. The car wasn't anywhere near fixed by mid-afternoon so I nobly suggested I could take the bus to meet the cubs after school, which meant - because of the dinner thing - there was no point us coming home by bus cos we'd have to pretty much head straight back out. So I had to keep the cubs amused for an hour or so before they were due back at school. <rolls eyes> Cue milk-shakes and 'oooh'ing at the interactive Neopets in the shops. Was I having fun yet? What do you think...?
Got the cubs back to school on time, just as their father texted me to say the car was fixed. Hoorah! Headed back to the shopping centre full of hope that I could go and see a movie.
<grumble> Cubs' father had prior plans so he couldn't pick the cubs up so I couldn't stay to see the movie. And I had to get the bloody bus home again! Was in such a bad mood I stamped off to get fish and chips and lollies for dinner and ended up with a stomach-ache. And then as I was heading out to pick the cubs up in a car whose brakes were technically fixed but not exactly safe (3 inches of dead air before you get anything approaching stopping power is not safe) it started to rain. No, actually it pissed down and we all got soaked.
But the cubs had a good, fun evening and at least the car doesn't sound like it's unroadworthy (so we're not as likely to get pulled over and canaried) but damn, I'm tired...
Can I stop now?

No comments: