Monday, June 04, 2012

Forecast: 10-14
Attained: 10-14


I'm not good with household DIY: my first instinct when something goes wrong is to, frankly, panic, then call the agent.

This morning as we were just about ready to leave the house, a cub flushed the toilet then told me that it 'might have overflowed...'. [headdesk] Not something I wanted to hear. I peeked in and yes, there was water all over the floor but I didn't have time just then to do more than through down some towels to sop up the mess and confirm that the water level in the bowl seemed normal. Ok, I could probably leave it until I got back and there'd be no flooding in the meantime. Fine, good.

Zipped about, doing things then eventually had to come home and deal with the problem. Rang the agent to let them know, and while they were contacting the owner I decided to check if the loo was overflowing. So I flushed it again... and water came gushing out of the inlet pipe. Damn. Next time I'll remember to check the connections first. [grump] What's happened is the rubber seal between the pipe and cistern had perished and finally worked its way loose, something I could potentially fix myself. (See what I mean about panicking? I should've checked before I rang the agent, would've saved some trouble...) In hindsight there'd been some indication of this happening over the past year or so, little spills of water that I couldn't pin point, but anyway...
Agent called back with the news that the owner was having car trouble and wouldn't be able to come out until tomorrow. I said I could probably fix it anyhow but would let them know if I needed extra help. I pulled the seal off completely, checking that there wasnt going to be any extra leakage (there wasn't) then trotted off to my local hardware emporium.
Found the correct size seal and was back off home within minutes.

There was some awkwardness between the length and angle of pipe in relation to the cistern so I wasn't able to easily replace the seal and reattach the pipe. Removing the pipe completely from the cistern was the only other option so I switched off the water and emptied the cistern - just in case. Yay, for buckets. With the pipe free it was much easier to get the seal in place, then I simply had to reattach the pipe to the cistern. [snort] Simply.
Managed it, with lots of swearing and shoving while making sure the seal wasn't dislodged, but still, it was easier than trying to put everything together with the pipe in situ. However, I might have accidentally shoved a bit too hard and the cistern isn't quite attached to the wall anymore. Um... There's at least one point of contact left, I'm sure, and there's multiple rigid pipes holding it in place so I'm confident there won't be a problem. I've advised the cubs to not thump down on the flush button. Not that they do anyway, I think, but, you know...

(Bonus! Unlike the old place, the toilet in this house sits on a concrete floor so I won't have to worry about rotting floorboards. This is a win. :)





No comments: