Friday, March 22, 2013

Forecast: 14-24°
Attained: 15-20°


The phrase 'Wouldn't say boo to a goose...' means that someone is timid, meek.
They're sensible, I say. Gooses are vicious; look at them the wrong way and they'll 'ave you! There's a reason they're used as guard dogs...
When I were a wee lass, living in England, Mum took me to visit a farm. I think we were there to pick up some goose feathers for my Red Indian Amerindian headdress*. Anyway, I refused to get out of the car cos the resident geese scared me. They were almost as big as my five year old self, for a start, and there were a lot of them (in my memory the menacing flock counted in the dozens but it was probably less than that.) So I stayed in the car, keeping a wary eye on these huge birds and anxiously waiting for Mum to return.

(* I loved that headdress. Mum sewed the feathers to a long piece of fabric braid. Sort of like this:



(Image nicked from here.)

Toby, the boy next door, and I played 'Indians' for hours amongst his family's gooseberry bushes - bonus snacks! I had the headdress, he had the bow and arrows, it was perfect. :)
Unfortunately, the headdress was one of the things that didn't come out to Australia with me. Not sure what happened to it, but I do remember missing it. Perhaps it was falling apart and had been tactfully removed when I hadn't been paying attention. Or, possibly it couldn't have come with us cos of quarantine restrictions. I wonder if there's a photo of me wearing it? I haven't looked through all the old family photos yet, hm...)

~=o>

No comments: