Sunday, May 01, 2005

Right, chapter 7's finally finished and 8's been started. This only-working-on-one-thing-at-a-time lark does have its benefits but I think I'm going to have to take a break and do something else soonish before I get bored. <hand to forehead> Curse my gadfly mind and it's need for evernew shiny things...
No, not really, I'd never wish away my creativity or imagination, but I know myself well enough to pick when I'm starting to get fed-up with something. And coincidentally I'm sure, a proto-idea I've had kicking around for ages fell into place last night while I was watching Sharpe's Honour. It'd make a decent short, I think, perhaps a novella...

I'll happily admit to being a voyeur - I do like to watch, anonymously - and I've just discovered photoblogs! There is something strangely compelling about peeping into the lives of total strangers. True, a lot of the images are completely inane or meaningless (if you don't know the person) but there's also a wealth of incidental information about who they are and how they feel about themselves, their lives, their friends, their town etc. It's fascinating to see what other people find interesting enough to post.
I definitely want my own digital camera now, I've already begun composing shots in my mind of my everyday things.

When I was younger I used to roll my eyes and smirk at older folks and their 'set ways'. I have a different perspective on that now. It's not so much to do with being inflexible and ornery but more along the lines of knowing what works for you.
Of course, there are some people who are inflexible and ornery but I'm never going to be like them. : )

traveler's tales!
Sunday was a good day. Another breakfast of bacon and eggs then several hours of combat scrabble interspersed with a few brain-twisting games of Set and then suddenly it was nearing dusk. A small excursion to the nearby blowholes and petrified forest was organised.
<happy sigh> The colour of the sea around the coast was amazing, varied shades of deep aqua and white, white foam that contrasted amazingly with the black volcanic rock. And it all glowed in the evening light - just beautiful. The petrified forest was a little eerie but fascinating. In some of the limestone tubes you could see the impression left by the bark of the trees and that combined with the complex weathering of the sandstone (looked like perfect cliff-side dwellings for flyers, in miniature) it all felt so... ancient. I definitely want to go back there, there's still so much to see!
Our last dinner was scrumptious chicken and vegetable parcels (thank you, Sam!) and stewed apples with ice-cream. Mmmmm... (And the 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle of doooom that was started on Friday night was determinedly finished by Soulsis, 'bec... and others, can't remember. I wondered where they'd got to that afternoon... : )
I did most of my packing before I went to bed, which meant the next morning wouldn't be quite so much of a frantic rush and I could enjoy what was left of my time at Cape Bridgewater.

No comments: