Thursday, February 23, 2006

Hah! The (probably only first) tweaking of chapter 1 has garnered an extra 300 words. Hah! I might even crack 200k by the time I'm done. Long, long way to go, though I'm sure tweaking 37 chapters won't take as much time as it took to write them initially. Eh, we'll see. I'm giving myself a schedule of a.m's: SFSG - p.m's: anything else that catches my attention, including a tentative start on the next novel. Hee, could be fun...

I really like gum trees. Sometimes, when the sun's shining full on them, the leaves flash silver or gold, and I worked out why. The light shines through the leaves of Euro trees but tends to be reflected from Australian species. (Conservation of moisture, an' all that.) I love the dappled effect you get from some of the Euro trees in Summer but the sparkly gums...? Just beautiful...
And on the way to school the other day I noticed something else. Don't know the exact species of eucalypt but the bright yellow-green clusters of new gumnuts stood out amongst the darker green of the long, gracefully curved leaves, both contrasting nicely with the coral red of the branches' new growth. I pointed it out to the cubs but I'm not sure they have the same appreciation for colour and form that I do - though that can be learnt. I used to think Australian plants were ugly, dusty, scraggly things, until I returned to England for a short while and experienced Euro plants in their native habitat. Only then could I begin to appreciate the unique beauty of the Aus natives in their natural environment. Does that make sense?
Coincidentally, it was around that time I began to take an interest in conservation and the 'Green' movement. Though perhaps it was no coincidence at all.

(Nicked from Rakina, several days ago: )

Tame? Tame? Hmph.

LLuxurious
UUnnatural
TTame
RRelaxing
AAmbitious

Name / Username:


Name Acronym Generator
From Go-Quiz.com

(And Ambitious? Certainly, but not in the status-conscious house-car-job-money way. Neither do I want to rule the world - too much like hard work. Just so we're clear, mm'kay?)

No comments: