Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Forecast: 8-13
Attained: 8-12


It hailed today, only little stones thank heavens, but after the window-breaking hailstorm back whenever I tend to get a little twitchy.

~=o>


If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done... (I lay claim to this saying, incidentally.) Cubs are in year 10 and one of the activities they have this year is work experience. They had to organise it themselves, and have known this for months, but despite prodding encouragement from both myself and their dad there's been little or no movement on that front. (We only made suggestions: refused to do it for them.) So here we are in the final two weeks of the term when the vast majority of their year level is out doing work experience and the cubs still had nothing lined up. They went to school on Monday, even though there were no formal classes for them, but I let them stay home today (Tuesday) on the proviso that they get off their bums and make some phone calls. Which they did, after more unsubtle hints from me, and lo and behold they have interviews tomorrow.
It's at the same place for both of them, a model gaming shop where they're quite well known. I think there's a good chance they'll be accepted but even if not the whole experience of organizing themselves and their travel arrangements and being interviewed will be invaluable. To be fair, it's not laziness that led to the procrastination but awkward shyness and lack of confidence, socially. Don't know where they get that from. (What? I have to leave the house? [whimper]... :)

~=o>


While the cubs were doing all that today, I was dancing with Centrelink. All a bit of a teeth-grindy process but necessary. However, when I went in I was told that one of the cub's is now on the system but there was nothing for the other. This was despite both sets of paperwork being in the same envelope I'd sent off last week. [headdesk] Fortunately the very helpful person I saw got the ball rolling to find the missing paperwork and I was given a call a couple of hours later to say it was all sorted. [sigh] Ok, fingers crossed 'twill be smooth sailing from here on in.



No comments: