Sunday, August 22, 2004

... and I get a blog-bar too, lucky me...

Well I've had a miserable couple of days.
Hm, no, perhaps that's being a bit melodramatic, but I haven't been having loads of fun, either.
Got into the garage and spent a few hours tunnelling through the stacks of cardboard boxes to find out just what's been affected by the damp concrete floor. Not as much as I'd feared: lots of water-marked books, some warped pages, but only a couple of precious things had to be thrown-out, one of which was my 1905 edition of Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management', dammit. (That's not to say there wasn't a lot that had to go, just that of the stuff that did I only regret the loss of a couple of things.) A lot of the items in those bottom layer of boxes felt damp so they're currently strewn about the garage while they air. I'll leave them for a week or so then rebox them. Yes, they'll probly have that damp, mouldy book smell forever but at least I still have them. There's still 3 stacks left to get through, tucked away in a largely inaccesible corner of the garage - I'll get back to that in a couple of days. Was hard work though, shifting heavy boxes to get to the damaged ones, then lugging across equally heavy plastic crates to act as a barrier then piling the other boxes back on top. My back hurts, I wonder why...
And I've been shunting stuff around in my room, trying to make some sort of space in there. There's still crap piled around but at least I've mostly got my bed back. Gah - I want a new house, one where I don't have to fight for space!

On the plus side, though, I've almost (ie: 8cm's left to sew up) finished the bulk of my quilt. Still have to attach the little odd bits to round off the pattern, then get the backing, borders and wadding organised so I can quilt it but still the bulk of it's nearly done. Phew...

Was there something else I was going to mention? Eh, can't remember.

No comments: