Friday, January 25, 2013

Forecast: 26-31°
Attained: 26-31°


I have a list of biggish things-to-get-off-my-arse-and-do this year; one of them is to get my eyes checked again. It's been four years.

So, did that this afternoon after work. I knew there'd been changes in my eyesight, but still...
I'm long-sighted, which means I've needed glasses for close-up stuff, but my long-sight has deteriorated too. I can still see fairly well but it's been getting harder to focus on things like street signs. Interestingly, the prescription I had for reading is now juuuust about right to correct the deficiencies in my long-sight, which explains why my glasses have been comfortable to wear around in general, but not so useful anymore for close work. Heh.

Long story short: I'll be wearing glasses full time. I will in fact be getting... multifocals. [dramatic chord]
When I heard that my heart gave a little thump cos multifocals is one of those things I've always associated with old people, like my mother. :)

I've picked out some nice frames - pale pink and fairly subtle. I did try some bolder colours but as soon as I saw the pinkies I squeaked, and that was that. I'll be able to pay them off, too, which is a good thing cos damn, having no private health cover makes it awkward.

(The optometrist discovered a couple of potential problems, specifically, there's a smidge of an inkling of a foreshadowing of possible glaucoma. Perhaps. A little more in-depth testing will be carried out soonish.)

~=o>

One of my favourite Umbilical Brothers sketches...




Of course, it's completely ruined Pachelbel's Canon for me. :)

~=o>

No comments: