Sunday, October 10, 2004

It’s been a very busy weekend… can I stop now?
Yesterday - Saturday – I went and voted in the Federal Election, taking the cubs with me (they were very interested in the process), then we trotted off to the annual Meccano Club exhibition. After 20 minutes I’d reached the limit of my geek/small boy (there’s not a lot of difference) tolerance and was more than ready to leave but the cubs wanted to stay for a bit longer please, mum…
Got home in time to cook their dinner then get myself ready to go out. Hee. Went to see a Kill Bill double at the Astor with Aaron and some of his friends. I’d not seen either of the movies before (I think I was the only one in the audience who hadn’t! Vir-gin! Vir-gin! Anyway…) but thoroughly enjoyed them both. Once again Tarantino left me impressed and tingly. : ) Dang I like his work. He’s got a phenomenal eye for detail and can genre-hop so smoothly you don’t notice he’s mixing his metaphors, so to speak. And his films always have the best soundtracks! Volume 1 and 2 are very different movies but I think 1 is my favourite cos it made me giggle, and the whole Tokyo sequence was just so cool! Absolutely shits on any attempt at coolness the Matrix movies might have been groping for. <g>
Then today, armed only with a sugar hangover (similar symptoms to an alcohol hangover, just the poison is different) I took the cubs to ScienceWorks. It’s odd but in the last quarter of the year, once the weather starts warming up, ScienceWorks tends to be very quiet, getting busy again in the summer holidays. Not that I’m complaining, this place is way more fun the less people in it. Cubs enjoyed themselves, especially as the ‘do it yourself’ weather reporting thingy was fixed. They love seeing footage of themselves, little hams… :)
The new exhibition about sports and athletes was very interesting, had some t’riffic interactive displays to explore, and the High Voltage show was great! It gives some background info about electricity, explaining how it works, then demonstrates a Van der Graff generator and ends with the firing up of a Tesla coil (!!) to simulate lightning! Cooooool! Now that was fun! A very graphic demonstration about why you shouldn’t go golfing when there’s lightning about. <g>
Heh, I’m ready for a rest though, didn’t have a chance to sleep in or nap this weekend…

Hey, Val, I noticed on the news last night (or the night before, can’t remember) that there was some guy in Dunedin found standing naked on his roof, peering through a rolled-up magazine while claiming to be a pirate.
:) You get the more entertaining loonies in NZ, obviously…

Murphy’s Law of on-line auctions: If you find you’ve bid on more items than you can comfortably afford, don’t assume you’ll be outbid on at least some of them (and so can more easily afford your purchases) because you’re going to win every one of them…
(Just stating this is an observation made on previous experiences, not my current situation. :)

Joules has written some Twins lemon! Aya! <big happy grin> Not that I’ve been hanging out for some or anything… <smirk>

<boggling at weather forecast> It’s going to be what tomorrow? 30 degrees is not spring weather, thank you very much, we’re not sposed to get temperatures like that until late November. <grumble>

No comments: