Sunday, October 17, 2004

The school had a fund-raising thing this afternoon so after lunch the cubs and I trotted off to the Malvern Town Hall for a combined school choir/Stonnington City Brass Band performance.
All of the town halls - in Victoria, at least - seem to be built in the 'Victorian' style, full of marble and gilt and decorative plaster 'accents'. Pretty, in an overblown sort of way though I don't like them very much.
I'm not fond of brass bands, either, and 'middle of the road' music bores me to tears... The afternoon seemed to drag a bit in places and at times the need to hear some Queens of the Stone Age was acute but I survived - and the kids were cute to watch. Only one of my cubs had wanted to join the performance today but judging by the long face and drooping shoulders when he came onstage I guessed he'd decided he didn't want to take part after all but hadn't been given a choice. <rolls eyes>
There were a couple of fun moments though, most notably when the band played a medley of favourite tv themes including the 60's Batman and the Cruella de Ville song from 101 Dalmatians sounds remarkably like a sleazy strip-tease anthem when played by a brass band. <snigger> Kept myself amused for a little while there with some lurid mental images... (Matrix Twins in Dalmatian skin coats? Don't ask... :)
The event wasn't too painful but dang I was glad when it finished. Hope it raised a reasonable amount of cash for the school...

No comments: