Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Cracking thunderstorms over the past couple of days! Though they make the cubs very nervous and I can't use the computer in case of power surges. Eh well, it's worth it for the light-show. : )

Wouldn't environmental archaeology be a cool thing to study? That'd be amazing, tracing back an area, charting the changes and finding out how it used to look.

Blimey, leeches can move fast when they're hungry. Kind of creepy really, watching this icky twig barrelling towards you…

Saturday was the school's Transport Extravaganza Fair. It was okay, not enough 2nd hand stuff for me to paw through – not that I could've spent much time looking anyway, not with 2 cubs bouncing up and down about the rides. Some of the exhibitors were very interesting, (the Meccano club, again? Haven't I already seen them this year?) and given more time (and money) I probly could've had a teeny bit more fun.
The thing only went for 3 hours, fortunately, and we could only stay for 2, but the cubs managed to get 2 rides on the miniature trains, and one on the go-karts so they were happy. There was a helicopter there this year, would've loved to have gone on that but at $40 per person I couldn't quite justify it.
I will be very glad when the school year is over, frankly, I'm sick to death of filling in forms and handing over money. Aaaaargh! Will the torment never end?!
No, it's fine, I'm fine now. Nothing to see here.

I scored a free set of plastic storage boxes yesterday. The shelf price was lower than the scanned price so according to store policy I get the item for nothing. Hee.

Soulsis and I (plus our accoutrements of motherhood) went to Niki's on Sunday for some xmas craft fun. <rolls eyes> Whose idea was this? Actually it wasn't too bad, but then again I hadn't been the one to stay up late slaving over gingerbread. <g> There were lots of little gingerbread houses to decorate, and when they were done there were lots of biscuits could do with some brightening up, too. Making the icing-glue was the easy part.
The children had fun though and it was all relatively peaceful. What more can you ask?

There's a fashion shop (sorry, boutique) at our shopping centre called MNG. No idea what it stands for but every time I see the logo the word 'minge' leaps to mind…

Our ABC has recently held a poll for My Favourite Book. Thousands of entries, apparently. The top 10 was interesting with 'LotR' coming in first. Can't say I'm surprised but I wonder how well it would've done if not for the movies still being in recent memory.
I almost got 'round to voting, by the way, though I was initially stumped by what my favourite book could be. I mean, how do you judge? I've read a lot of brilliant stuff over the years. But then I figured your fav book would be one you kept coming back to, one that meant something to you, one that still moved you. With those criteria it was no contest, my favourite book is 'Jane Eyre' by Charlotte Bronte. It was the first book where I remember really identifying with the main character, I felt everything she did and more. I was enraged on her behalf, and heart-broken, and ultimately blissfully happy for her at the end.
Hn, okay, perhaps the fluggy-bunny's been around longer than I'll admit. : )

I've had a look at the next chapter of the cubs' father's drivel Romance.
My head hurts. The fact he's a newbie writer is painfully obvious, he hasn't quite got to grips yet with 'establishing scenes' or keeping the time-frame consistent. Important things, in my opinion. I like to have a firm sense of where I am in the story, unless that disorientation is deliberate and done cleverly, of course.
Buuuuut, looking back over my early stuff… I can hardly point the finger and laugh. I've come a long way, no doubt he will, too.

Saw some 'new' LotR action-figures today. <shakes head> I didn't think it was possible for this series to get any worse. I was wrong. I've been puzzling over who the Elrond figure reminds me of - it's certainly not the Lord of Imladris - and I think I've got it. Remember the film Dark Crystal? Remember the witch/astrologer creature? The ugly one with the long earlobes and bulbous nose? Yerrsss… Not impressed.
The Helm's Deep Legolas is worse though. Not even pretty for a start, and I know that by that part of the story bathing hadn't been high on anyone's list for ages, but honestly the elf's hair was never faeces-brown!

Last night was the school's annual xmas concert.
………
At least it didn't go for long.
No, I'm exaggerating, it wasn't that painful and the grade 2's put in a rather interesting, rather avant-garde performance where the noises coming from the percussion instruments they were using didn't appear to have any connection with what they were supposed to be performing. <g> Ah, I can make my own amusement…

No comments: