Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Oh yes, and other things have been happening as well as me getting presents. : )

Andi and Andrew have had another baby! Campbell was born 26th November (that's Sagittarius... be prepared for brutal honesty with no malice, and many panic attacks cos he wanted to 'try stuff, just cos...') was 48 cms long and weighed almost 8 pounds (yes, Sammi, you were right!). Congratulations! <hugs> Is Alex sick of him yet? <g>

And congratulations Ken and Joules on your anniversary! (Joules was trying to work out how long it had been. You know what she's like with numbers, it was kind of fun watching her brain tangle...)

Aaaarrrr!! >P-} (Pirate emoticon courtesy of Joules. See? It's got an eyepatch...)
The cubs watched Pirates of the Carribean with me the other day. They weren't bothered by the skeletons, giggled in fact but do you want to know when they did cover their eyes?
The kissing scene, right at the end. <rolls eyes> Boys...
One thing that bugs me about 'historical' movies is when modern concepts or parlance is used. Call me a period-nazi if you must but using modernisms in that manner smacks of laziness. I don't buy the 'making it relevant to modern viewers' crap at all. (There are exceptions though. Moulin Rouge, for one, but then the speech was accurate, only the music was modern and that worked. Where was I? I did have a point when I started this rant. Ah yes...) In PotC, Elizabeth uses 'okay'. This grated a bit but I thought in fairness I should check the word/phrase's use. According to 'English through the Ages [William Brohaugh; 1998]) 'OK' was in use as an adjective by 1839. While I can't recall exactly when Pirates is set, (goodness, I'd better watch it again, then, hadn't I? <sunny smile> ) I figured it was probly close enough for accuracy. : )

The cubs and I went to see Deep Blue yesterday. My little loves were less than impressed at being taken to see another documentary, but again they got into it eventually.
I'm not sure why this movie was made, actually. It's been cut-together from the BBC telly doco 'The Blue Planet' - which would explain why it seemed very familiar - but what was the point? True, some of the visuals are stunning on the big screen but there was nothing new in it and seeing the orcas hunt and kill baby seals and whales was a bit confronting. Kudos to the makers if they were trying to get across the message about protecting this fragile, beautiful environment, but I don't think they did a particularly good job. Having only one line at the end about man 'plundering' the seas really didn't have enough impact. Eh well, it was a pretty film. If I was tempted to buy the DVD I think I'd hunt down the series rather than the movie.

Off to make myself a turkish delight flavoured hot choc and paw again through my treasures...


No comments: