Friday, August 10, 2012

Forecast: no idea
Attained: 8-11

Forecast (yesterday): 10-14
Attained: 9-11


Had the stapendectomy yesterday but had to stay in hospital overnight, which was a bit of an unwelcome surprise. I'd gained the impression - either from me misunderstanding what the surgeon had said, or him not expressing himself clearly - that I would be able to go home the day of the surgery. Eh well, it only took some quick phonecalls to the cubs and their dad to let them know about the change of plans.

I had planned on thriftily taking the bus to the hospital but faced with rain and hail, and already tired out from several days of anxiety, I decided to go by taxi instead.
Went through the admission process quite quickly, gaining an id bracelet or two on the way, as well as a very not flattering hospital gown and dressing gown. I got to keep my shoes on.
Got in at 11 and my op was scheduled for 1.30. Seems like a long time to wait - especially after fasting since 7 am - but time always flies when you're dreading something. :)

Was taken up to the theatre floor, and answered the same set of questions again before being popped on to a gurney. Even more nervous? Oh yes. The theatre staff were great though, they all introduced themselves and were very reassuring.
The dreaded IV was placed, I was wheeled in under the lights, the mask went over my face and I was instructed to breath deeply...

I dreamt while I was under anaesthetic, or was dreaming as I was coming out of it. Intense dreams but I don't remember any details. And then there I was recovery and it was almost 5pm.

... con't tomorrow cos I'm really quite knackered. :)

No comments: