Friday, September 24, 2004

The cubs and I went to the Royal Melbourne Show today, which is an annual biiiig carnival/agricultural show thing that’s been going on for years. We got there just after 10 a.m so there weren’t that many people to begin with, but by the time we left at 1.30 the crowds were annoying. It was fun though, in an ouchie-expensive sort of way. Rides ranged from $3.50 for the ‘baby’ rides, to $7.50 for the really cool ones that give you bruises and nausea, while showbags (sample bags) went from $2 - $30. And then there was the cost of getting in to the place. I blew my budget, but I kind of expected that, so’d brought some extra cash just in case.
I love ferris wheels! The cubs and I went on both the medium-sized wheel and the big one that takes over 5 minutes to load/unload patrons. Weeee! You get a great view from the top of the big one. The cubs also got a ride on the dodgems and a miniature railway, which satisfied them though they would’ve quite happily had a go at several other things. Maybe next year, when I’m unnecessarily wealthy...
I’d researched the showbags before going to the Show, discussing with the cubs the 2 I thought they’d be most interested in. That worked, they were primed for those and mostly ignored the hundreds of others available. :) They got a Thomas the Tank Engine showbag each (which came with a back-pack, so they could carry their own food – bonus!) and there was enough stuff in the Garfield bag that they were happy to share one. I love it when my cubs are reasonable... As one of the bonus toys in the Garfield bag, they got an Odie marionette puppet thing. It’s... disturbing. It’s only got 2 legs, so it looks like the dog has either had its front legs amputated, or its backlegs, and it’s dragging itself around by his forepaws. Weird.
One of the things I insisted on doing today was going to see the animals and the art/craft displays. Naturally, there were complaints about the smell in the animal pavillions but the cubs managed to hang in there long enough for me to get a look at the chickens. <squinch> Fluffy feet! (I don’t have a thing about chickens, I don’t!) Saw some Bengal kittens in the pet pavillion – spotty cats! So cute! – but my heart is still set on getting a Maine Coon at some stage. There was some amazing feline furniture for sale as well – love to be able to get one for KittenKong. Heh, the company will do lay-bys...
The use of cross-stitch pattern maker software was evident in the needlework section of the art/craft. Not that that’s a problem, I’m just used to seeing x-stitch that looks like art, not photos. I have to admit I was expecting more from the hand-made dolls, they didn’t seem to be particularly imaginative – Soulsis, yours would romp all over the competition. :) In the ceramics, though, was a beautiful, simple, green-glazed teapot that had a frog as the lid handle, that made me smile.

... so here we are, several hours later. All the lollies have been eaten and the cubs are about to go out to the Golden Arches of Doom for dinner with their father. Tired now - I think I’ll have a nap...

No comments: