Thursday, September 09, 2004

<happy squeak> Finished my quilt!
Well, I’ve finished the main panel, which needs to be sewn to the border sashes then I can start quilting. Neat, eh? : )

<not-so-happy squeak – more of a snarl> Several days ago, when I got online, my computer was hijacked and frog-marched to a site that forced me to change the dial-up number of our server. It was legit - the server had merged with another one and the two groups of users were being ‘streamlined’ but dammit, I’ve had all manner of problems with the connection since. (This update is being written off-line in the hope that one day soon I’ll be able post <grump>). If I can get on-line at all I’ve generally got about 5 minutes of usable time before the connection slows down so much it’s useless. Can’t navigate to any pages, can’t use email, can’t chat. I rang the server and after fuss-arsing about for half an hour with them I was told that, by the way, the new phone-number was giving one group of users problems. Yep, my group. At the time of writing the problem was sposed to have been fixed a couple of hours ago but I’m still unable to get online.
I’ll be ringing the server again tomorrow and asking to be reimbursed for the time I haven’t been able to get on-line.
And then I’ll be looking around for another server…
[Addendum: Still not able to get online with the new number but the cubs' father tried the old number and that's still active. So that's what I'm doing...]

On a brighter note, I’ve now got Word again thanks to Niki. : ) Been using Wordpad which does at a pinch but it doesn’t have a spell-check, or thesaurus, or even a page/word count. However I was pleasantly surprised to find the current AC I’m struggling with is almost 8 pages rather than the 3 or 4 I’d thought it was. Heh.

Slowly rebuilding my files. Discovered some useful old stuff on floppies including the two sci-fi novels my father wrote. I think I’m a better writer than he was. One of these days I’m going to edit those books into something that has the potential for publication.

I’m declaring a fork amnesty. Over half of the bloody things have disappeared! They’re probly lurking about in other people’s rooms… other people who eat their meals in their rooms…

Gave myself a fright yesterday. Went to pick the cubs up from school but when I started the car up it wouldn’t move! There was a short pause while I panicked – hand-brake’s off, it’s in gear, what’s the matter?! – then it occurred to me that the gear the car should’ve been in was drive, not park. <shakes head> Some days the blondeness goes all the way to the bone…

No comments: