Friday, July 22, 2005

Bit of an odd day. Woke up with one of those niggling, hard-to-shift headaches that left me feeling spacey and detached to the extent I got lost in the contemplation of bare tree branches against a clear blue sky. True, I normally find that one of the prettiest sights ever anyway, but given my brain-state this morning they were indescribably beautiful. Still, I managed to maintain the integrity of my personality enough to get on with the things I had to, like picking up my book lay-by! It's taken me 2 months to pay them off but now I finally have Anatomy for the Artist and National Geographic Greatest Portraits in my covetous clutches. Yeah! Beautiful books, too. I will insist the cubs wash their hands before touching these ones. : )

Managed to pay off the cubs' library fines yesterday so we can borrow again. They got a Garfield book each, and I got a copy of Order of the Phoenix and The Years of Rice and Salt. I'm reading OotP first (Ootp! Sounds like an owl spitting!) cos I may as well read it while the rest of them are still fresh in my mind. It's much darker than the others, isn't it? Not sure I'm enjoying it as much either, but, having read a lot of Snape-slash before reading the majority of the series I find I have an interesting slant on the text. Hee.

I attended the Turning of the Sod ceremony at the cubs' school today. It was very low-key despite a couple of news crews in attendance. There were a number of people in suits wandering about amongst the parent-guests, important people, apparently, government ministers and such, but I didn't recognise any of them. But anyway, after a few mercifully short speeches (kept even shorter cos the public-address thingy was squealy with feedback) a spadeful of earth was dug up and turned over. And that was it. Woohoo. Then a jacaranda sapling was planted in commemoration of the event, but across the way in the 'native plant walk' and not in sod-turning area which was a bit silly in my view cos they had the makings of a perfectly good hole right there. Oh well...
I stayed around long enough at the afternoon tea to get a cup of coffee and a couple of biscuits before deciding that was it. By then it felt like I'd been on my feet all day, I still had a wee bit of shopping to pick up and the spaceiness had transmuted into a desperate need for a nap. Besides, the cubs' father was picking them up after school so I didn't have to hang around.
I was still asleep when the cubs' got home and I missed the 30 second grab at the end of the news about the ceremony but I'm sure I'll manage somehow to get on with my life despite the loss. <hand to forehead> Oh yes, spacey and snarky - it doesn't get better than this. <g>

No comments: