Monday, July 25, 2005

Sometimes, bad fanfic is just what you need.
The cubs' father has been dragging around with a heavy cold for several days and now I think it's my turn. The sore throat I had last night has transmuted into a runny nose and an irritating cough and I'm just beginning to feel that drag in my lungs. Tch. But anyway instead of sensibly having a nap before I had to dive out and pick the cubs up from school I finished reading some Harry Potter badfic on AFF.
Actually, Indago isn't that bad. The standard of writing is reasonable for AFF, the spelling and grammar isn't too awful and most of the characterisations aren't too out of whack. Most of them. Some I thought were way OOC but this is an AU, and there was some attempt to rationalise the behaviour so yeah, all right.
The story's not the best, the ending wasn't unexpected, and some of the push/pulls used to nudge the plot forward made me roll my eyes but it wasn't so bad that I lost interest before being hooked by teh drama and teh angst. <g> And I'm partial to a dominant Snape so all in all there was enough to keep me going through the 58 shortish chapters. The fluffy bunny loved it but I think she's just feeling sooky cos of the cold.
What's been fun though is I'm muddling up the HP canon and fannon. At a particularly tense moment in Order of the Phoenix I caught myself thinking that Harry shouldn't be charging off like that, not in his delicate condition! Wait a minute... d'oh! (Did I mention that Indago is an mpreg? : )
Eh, if you're not a HP canon-fascist this fic probly won't make you want to claw out your eyes but the author's other fic - By Fair Means or Foul - is much more entertaining. (I've mentioned this one before, it's another mpreg AU, centered around Snape and it's very funny. It's also complete now, at 29 chapters, and it's another favourite of the fluffy bunny.)

Okay, my ability to round-off thoughts is even wonkier than usual, so moving right along...

I was watching the clouds this afternoon while I was waiting for the bus. There were two distinct layers: the lower layer of clouds was scudding [isn't that a fabulous word?] along while the upper layer was still. I was marveling at how fast the air must've been moving for the clouds to race like that. I could just make out the sun behind a bank of dark rain-cloud and I thought:
"Above the clouds, the sun is always shining... Except when it's night...
Meh, I've never been good at formulating Hallmark sentiments.

I've started chapter 16. : ) Is there a word for when you fall in love with one of your characters? And as your characters tend to reflect aspects of yourself would it be narcissism?
Eh, don't care, I'm still having fun...

No comments: