Friday, July 01, 2005

My babies are 10 years old now, or as they say, 'the big one-oh. <g>
They had a good day. I got out of bed later than I'd anticipated (I hadn't been woken up at sparrow's fart to be shown their haul of presents) to find them already happily ankle-deep in bits of lego and Star Wars toys. That lot kept them occupied until their cousins arrived and they were given a copy of the Spongebob movie (thanks, Soulsis!). Watched that for a bit then they got ready for their party.
Their father had spent several hours last night and today slaving over their costumes. The M cub had a black, hooded cloak (coupled with an Optimus Prime mask) to make him Darth Marcus while the S cub had a plain, sleeveless gi style top to become Sean Skywalker. <silly grin> And they both had lightsabres, of course, which they waved about with flagrant disregard for the light fittings. (I'm proud to say my cubs love being in costume - I'll have to take them to a con sometime. As proto-geeks they'll fit riiiight in.)
As seems to have become traditional their party was held at a Golden Arches of Doom which, while I have ethical objections to the company, means I don't have to organise food and entertainment, or clean up. Niki's two kinder were there as well, and a couple of friends from school. And the S cub's teacher, who he'd invited. Admittedly she was only there for a little while with her niece, on their way home from seeing a Holy Rodent Empire Extravaganza on Ice production, but she diplomatically gave both the cubs presents.
I was a little concerned that some of the kids might be a bit bored - at 10, you know, pass-the-parcel doesn't have quite the same appeal it once did - but they all still got into the musical chairs, with the competition becoming quite fierce towards the end there. I don't think anyone was bored but then ice-cream cake can make up for a lot. : )
Have to make special mention of Sarah, Penny's daughter, playing 'Happy Birthday' for the cubs on her baritone (trombone?) then a quick rendition of the 'Imperial March', which she'd worked out herself. <g> She got a big round of applause for that.
Ice-cream cake devoured, bill paid, the party finished with the kids blowing a storm of bubbles with the bubble-mix they found in the giftie bags supplied by the 'restaurant'. We had to shoo them all outside after a few minutes, the floor was getting slippery from the slurry of burst bubbles...

Niki and Soulsis et al came back with us for a wee while. We watched movies and played with Soulsis' new puppy. She's a - let's see if I get right - some floppy-eared type of spaniel beginning with 'B' crossed with a border collie. Very cute, even though she smells a bit doggy. : ) Still not inspired to get a dog of my own.

Heh, cubs have been chivied off to bed but they're not asleep yet. Having too much fun playing with their loot. Bet they sleep in tomorrow...

Other stuff:

Chapter 12 is almost finished. It's taken a week longer than it probly should've but I've had the holidays as an excuse, I guess. The second part of SFSG was looking a bit sparse for a while but as I get closer to writing it there's lots of stuff floating up to fill in the blanks. <g> I'm looking forward to this next bit, wondering though if I should show restraint in what could essentially be a series of lemony bits. I spose I can just write it then pull it back if necessary later. There is some plot to pad out the sex...

Earlier today I was listening (via ICQ) to Joules mutter and curse as she sorted out the Alliance Chronicle galleries.
"Remind me not to do this again." She growled.
Yeah right. <long-suffering sigh> If it follows the usual pattern she'll think about doing something similar; I'll remind her how much fun it wasn't; she'll consider that for a few heartbeats then go ahead and do it anyway! Tch. Stubborn...
Eh well, the results are usually worth her angst. : )

No comments: