Saturday, July 09, 2005

I woke up this morning to the sound of gentle rain, and the realisation that the washing line was full of stuff that shouldn't be out there getting wet. Tch. All of the cubs' uniform bits were washed and dried a fortnight ago so all I have to do is make sure there's enough underwear and socks ready. Golly, what an interesting way to spend the weekend.

I'm constantly astonished at how pointless the online TV guides are. The 'search engines' are laughable, the search parameters confounding. I think the assumption's made that you're a regular viewer so you have some idea where to look but just trying to perform what you'd think was a simple search to see if a particular program is listed is frustrating. And then there's the 'block programs', things like The Big Cheez which goes for an hour and a half in the mornings showing cartoons but nowhere does it list what those cartoons are. <grump> Might have to resort to actually reading a TV magazine...

(<g> The cubs are watching the Spongebob movie in Dutch again, though with English subtitles this time. Dutch sounds close to German, close enough for me to think I recognise some of it but be stymied by the context. : ) [Did you know that stymied is a golfing term meaning 'A situation ... in which an opponent's ball obstructs the line of play of one's own ball on the putting green. (Dictionary.com.) Online dictionaries are just as much fun as paper ones!] What was I talking about? Ah yes... And last night we all watched 'Totoro' in Japanese without subtitles - cos this copy Soulsis leant us didn't have any - but the characters are so expressive there was hardly any need for them. : )

Being one to always want to try new things, yesterday I bought a different type of toothpaste from a health-food store. Actually, I thought it was the same one I tried years ago, a bicarb powder product, but it wasn't. Still comes in a little bottle rather than a tube, but it's a bicarb paste this time. Interesting taste though, it uses extract of stevia as a sweetener and it doesn't burn like (hygiene!) the regular toothpastes. Plus the container can be used for something else instead of going straight into the bin. Re-usable packaging, always a bonus.

K-mart is having their 1/2 yearly toy sale with accompanying no-deposit, you've-got-until-Xmas-to-pay-it-off lay-by. The catalogue's misleading though. It doesn't say the special lay-by conditions only apply to toys, you only find that out when you go to the store and try to lay-by a digital camera. Bit miffed, frankly. I could just about justify buying a digicam if I'd had 6 months to pay it off. Oh well.

(<blink> Now I'm just confused. The cubs' are watching the movie in Deutsche, which as we cosmopolitan types all know is German, but... the subtitles are also in Deutsche, apparently, but I recognise even less of the words there than I'm hearing. Comparing the structures of the vocal and written sentences I'm getting even more confused. I know German grammar is torturous, what with the verbs all bunged up at the end of the sentence, but this makes no sense. I wonder if the subbed German version is different from the dubbed version? Wouldn't be the first time, happens a lot in anime with the English sub/dubs after all, why would German be any different? Ack, no, on only one cup of coffee it hurts too much to contemplate. I'll think of something else, but not how appalling my German comprehension must actually be to mistake it for Dutch...!)

The new bus route is very handy, it goes past two decent op-shops and Niki's place! Which means I can just hop on a bus and go rather than having to take one bus to the nexus then take a different one out. It also means the cubs and I can get to and from Niki's easily under our own steam if we can't get a lift.

The fluffy bunny's a sneaky cow. A couple of days ago I wanted to listen to something while I sewed but wasn't sure what. Eventually chose the Moulin Rouge soundtrack but it wasn't until I got to the fabulously soppy 'Come What May' duet I realised the fluffy bunny had influenced my choice. Tch. Better keep an eye on her or I'll be buying a copy of 'Ghost' before I know it...

No comments: