Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I went to see 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' last night with Alarice! Man, when Tim Burton gets a world-frame right you can just sink into it...
I loved this movie right from the start and with only a couple of niggling quibbles I loved it all the way through to the end. It's not the same as the Gene Wilder movie - a different sort of creepy - but if my hazy memory serves this new version was closer to the book.
Now there's a question. I don't remember Charlie's father being in the first movie - was he in the book? Eh, anyway...
Ok, let me clarify that 'closer to the book' statement. The film is closer to the feel of the book, I think, but not the actual story. There were some noticeable omissions, changes, and additions and these combined to make it a less confronting retelling all told. Less confronting perhaps, but the lurking sense of insidious weirdness is wonderfully uncomfortable in places - something I've come to expect from Tim Burton.
Casting was excellent. The naughty children were all deliciously horrible - so were their parents - and Charlie was the quintessential nice-boy without being unnaturally sweet.
And Johnny Depp proves again that he can act as well as give good face. I'm going to see it again, and, oh, if anyone sees a model of the pink seahorse boat, please let me know. :)

Saw a promo for 'Goblet of Fire' amongst the trailers, too. Eeeee! Looks exciting!
But there was nary a glimpse of Snape in the split-second flashes. <grump> Maybe he'd be included if they made a trailer aimed at the, erm, older, more discerning viewer?

No comments: