Monday, September 19, 2005

<grumblesigh> Just watched the last episode of Dead Like Me. One of the most original and darkly funny things I've seen for ages and it only goes for 2 seasons. I shall pout...

If a 'boar' is an uncastrated male pig, what's a castrated male pig called?
<thinking really hard> Aaargh, 'Animal Farm'? Isn't Squealer one?

If in doubt, google it...
Barrow, according to Wikipedia, is a castrated male pig.

And cos I don't entirely trust Wikipedia, just checked my faithful old Oxford Concise and yes, it's in there too.
Phew. Now I won't keep myself awake pondering it. : )

But here's something else that's been niggling at me for a few days. Something, a phrase, about infamous (in-famous) meaning even more famous than famous.
I can almost hear the inflection of the speaker's voice, and I can almost see their face but the full memory just won't surface. Tch.

Mmmmm... tried out a recipe for caramel popcorn today, given (verbally) to me by Mary, the other library volunteer at the cubs' school.
150g butter and 200g jersey caramels melted together and stirred until combined then poured over a quantity of popcorn ('bout 1/3 cup of kernels), mixed thoroughly then spooned into individual paper patty pans.
Mmmmm...
Not entirely sure how much popcorn I used cos I had to salvage the good bits from 2 batches. First batch was left on the heat too long and got a little singed, while half of the kernels in the second batch didn't pop. I suspect I should've used one of the cast iron pots to spread the heat a little more evenly. Ah well, I'll remember next time.
Not surprisingly the little dollops of caramelly goodness didn't last long.

Taking the cubs out tomorrow for our first official holiday event. We're going to see a movie, probably The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3D... Could be worse - though I'd rather see the Wallace and Grommit movie. Next week, perhaps.

No comments: